98 se setup problems just for a change.

halfwit 18:15 07 Feb 04

attempted to install 98 se over 98. it gets as far as "setting up your hard ware and any plug & play devices you may have". It then hangs,ie mouse pointer moves but no progress on setup. Stopped at 14 minutes remaining.Quite an old machine but up to the task of running 98 se,ie pentium 333,128 meg ram,4 Gig hard drive,onboard graphics etc.... Any thoughts??????

Jester2K 18:19 07 Feb 04

Remove all unnecessary devices and cards not needed to get the PC up and running. Add these in later. I'd suspect one card / device is causing problems with the Plug n Play.

You only need the mouse, keyboard and monitor plugged in and only the graphics card if there is no onboard graphics. Remove any sound cards, network cards, modems etc etc

halfwit 18:29 07 Feb 04

Jester2k,machine was working fine up until trying the update, ie no changes to hardware but just before doing update networked to another machine (this one) and downloaded windows updates of which there were many. Can boot in safe mode but as soon as I restart it attempts to complete setup and stops at exactly the same place.have removed the network card and taken everything out of startup but still stops at exactly the same place.

Valvegrid 18:32 07 Feb 04

If I remember you have got to rename win.com to win.old then install. Otherwise 98se can see the original version still there.

halfwit 18:40 07 Feb 04

valvegrid.I dont quite get what your suggesting.isnt setup supposed to do the whole lot itsself.Im sure ive done this before and not had any trouble with it.

Valvegrid 18:58 07 Feb 04

I'm trying to remember, I'm afraid the old Bio-chemical computer is not as good as it used to be, but I seem to remember either on this forum or the M$ site that, that file had to be changed to allow 98SE to be installed. I'll keep trying and see if I can remember.

Valvegrid 20:13 07 Feb 04

It wasn't on this forum, it was on experts-exchange:

click here

halfwit 20:23 07 Feb 04

valvegrid, isnt the idea of this forum to assist each other rather than getting them to sign up to a proffesional support site.all i want to know is ,is there an easy answer 'cos format is not really an option. I'm not an it expert and think your suggested course kind of goes against the trend of this forum.

VoG II 20:28 07 Feb 04

You just need to

RENAME WIN.COM WIN.OLD

as valvegrid said.

A quick search on Google will confirm this.

Without doing this you won't be able to do an over-the-top install.

halfwit 20:30 07 Feb 04

vog, Sorry about the over reaction,where do I go to renane assuggested?

Valvegrid 20:31 07 Feb 04

What are you talking about! You obviously didn't read. There was absolutely no suggestion of a format.

Good night.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…