98 SE Desktop Icons - repositioning

Pidder 18:34 06 Jun 03

I have dragged some Desktop Icons into 5 small groups on the right for easy access. Using Maintenance Wizard resets them all to the big group on the left of screen. Is there a way to stop this so I don't have to redrag them every time I use Maintenance? Thanks for any advice.

Roland Butter 18:38 06 Jun 03

Does it still happen if you set it as a web page?

jazzypop 18:42 06 Jun 03

Have you right-clicked on your Desktop, selected 'Arrange icons', and unticked 'Auto-arrange'?

Pidder 18:51 06 Jun 03

Auto-arrange is not ticked. I have now ticked "view as web page" and will see if this solves it.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Pidder 20:28 06 Jun 03

Regret that didn't work. Anyone any other ideas?

VoG™ 20:37 06 Jun 03

What is "Maintenance Wizard"?

Pidder 10:11 07 Jun 03

Thought for a moment I was talking rubbish. Click Start -Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Maintenance Wizard. Runs Disc cleanup, Scandisk and Defrag automatically.

during disk-cleanup the temp file that contains your desktop icon configurations is probably deleted, you will need to work out which one it is and exclude it from the cleaning process (just dont ask me how to do that sorry)

VoG™ 10:22 07 Jun 03

Sorry Pidder, XP doesn't have it and I don't think I ever used it in 98/ME.

Pidder 11:32 07 Jun 03

Sorry too, didn't mean to be rude.

Valvegrid 11:45 07 Jun 03

I have been looking at my Win98 and can't really see a quick solution. Do you have to run maintenance Wizard? I usually run all those applications manually like Defrag, Scandisk, etc, and all the icons stay put, maybe it's me, but I like an element of control over my machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…