98 ME Safe Mode woes

spider man 15:55 17 Jun 04

Please help, I downloaded Norton A/V updates now my computer only boots into safe mode.
In simple terms please... Have i got system restore on 98 ME? If so where is it and how do i initiate this feature ????

mgmcc 16:05 17 Jun 04

There is a "System Restore" facility in Windows ME but not in Windows 98. Which do you have as there isn't a "98 ME"?

For 98, you can restore an earlier version of the registry by booting with a Windows 98 Startup Disk (boot floppy) and at the "A:\>" prompt typing:

scanreg /restore

and pressing Enter. You will then have the option to restore one of several previous copies of the registry. In Win ME, there should be an option from the Start Menu to launch System Restore - possibly "Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore", but I don't have Win ME running at the moment to check the exact location.

Graham ® 19:32 17 Jun 04

Instead of a boot disk, simply restart in DOS mode.

spider man 10:11 18 Jun 04

Thanks for the info, I am working through it but my time is limited so thanks again i will let you know if i sort it..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…