98 to 2K - how long did it take you

daba 23:51 27 Dec 05

I am going to upgrade my 98SE to W2K.

Not before time I hear you say, but 98SE has been (and still is) pretty good to me.

Assuming I have all the W2K drivers I need for the hardware I have, just how long is it going to take to get the PC up and running again.

I've heard stories of anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks, surely this can't be the case.

For those of you who have done this, is there anything you could give me pre-advice on, something I should be aware of, something I might have to be prepared for etc., etc.

This is a big step for me, although I have done upgrades before I think the W2K one is a bit more involved than the previous Windows versions

mgmcc 23:56 27 Dec 05

Any particular reason you want to "upgrade" from 98SE to Windows 2000?

Upgrading to XP, yes, but I'm not sure that I would go from 98SE to 2000 (and I have used 2000).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:04 28 Dec 05

W2K one is a bit more involved than the previous Windows versions

because it is NT based and really for corporate use not a Home user. Not as friendly as XP either.

If you want to upgrade go for XP home.

Provided of course your PC is capable of running it, waste of time with any CPU less than 1GHz and less than 256Mb Ram.

daba 00:10 28 Dec 05

I own a (currently not used) 2K licence - cheapest upgrade path (ie. costs zilch)

I'm not ruling out going for XP, but feel that 2K to XP would be less traumatic (assuning the 98 to 2K goes OK)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:19 28 Dec 05

2hrs if everything goes right.

Do a clean install rather than an upgrade,

BAck up all files, documents, pictures. to nother drive or partition

boot with the 98 floppy and select with CD support, format C:\ drive and then run setup from the CD to install W2k

Das Boot 00:29 28 Dec 05

Hi I have just fixed up an old PC by buying a Chaintec MB Via Apollo 133 Pro chip set and a PIII 600 Mz cpu for £20 off Ebay I all ready had 256 MB ram and 20 Gig HD. Put XP Home on it and it runs like a dream not as fast as my 3.2Ghz but for £20 can't grumble I am using it right now.

Skills 01:21 28 Dec 05

As Fruitbat said if everything goes alright then a couple of hours but I would set aside an afternoon.

Back everything up that you want to keep to disk or another partion or drive.

Make sure you have all your drivers to hand and I always download the latest definitions for my anitvirus and malware apps and put them on disk as well. That way once you have finished the install av back on first thing and update defs before you have to go anywhere near online.

Do a clean installation as fruitbat said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017