9 days since infection & still no nearer a fix

andrew-203239 13:11 10 May 04

My wife's pc (running Windows XP Home) is showing symptoms of several viruses but none of the downloads from MS or Symantec have been able to tag what we have.

So far, we've had the "system shuts down in 60 seconds" message (Blaster or Sasser?), we're barred from accessing the Symantec or MS site on the infected pc (Agobot?), and it takes an eternity to start up with zillions of files being launched & system resources almost maxing out.

I've downloaded virus update files from Symantec (via pc #2), loaded them to the infected pc but Norton (Internet 04) then showed that it had been tampered (with) & needs un/reinstalling. Tried Panda and Sophos, but no further forward there either.

Caught this when downloading update files from MS last Saturday week - really impressed!! Going round in circles.

If anyone can help (and God knows we need it!) - please note that I'm not technical, so words of one syllable please!

Thanks

stlucia 13:16 10 May 04

An up-to-date AVG from click here should deal with them all. But you need to make sure that system restore is switched off while you deal with them.

Confab 13:19 10 May 04

You could try the free online scan from Trend.
click here

It's very good.

Confab

Lionheart ? 13:22 10 May 04

Read here may help click here

spikeychris 13:25 10 May 04

Disconnect the computer from the Internet
connection.

When Windows opens and you see the Windows desktop,
click Start > Run.
Type:

cmd

and press Enter.

Type:

shutdown -i

and press Enter.

In the Remote Shutdown Dialogue that opens, change 20
seconds to:

and click OK.

This gives you about three hours to get the patch
installed, update the definitions, and so on.

Alternatively type shutdown -a into run to prevent the shutdown.

Belatucadrus 14:27 10 May 04

click here for another free cleaner that'll fit on a floppy

spuds 15:20 10 May 04

You may find that your problem is via the restore point on your computer.Others maybe able to give further advice on this.

Download Stinger click here and run a scan. Also have a look here click here for virus info and removal

BurrWalnut 15:40 10 May 04

Spuds is right, turn off system restore then run your anti-virus check, then switch the restore option back on.

NOTE, you will lose all previously made restore points when you switch it off.

SEASHANTY 16:17 10 May 04

^

maz2 16:21 10 May 04

I still reckon the Trend on line checker Housecall is the best found loads on mine that Norton didn't and showed me how to get rid of them

SEASHANTY 19:54 10 May 04

I should be ok then as I use the V-Com (formerly OnTrack) system suite v5 which utilises the Trend anti-virus programme and updates at least every two days or better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…