8x DVD-R Disc on a 4x DVD Burner ?

Pikachu 08:46 23 Jan 06

I have a Sony DRU510A DVD Burner which I have had quite a while now the issue I have is that I bought some HP 8x DVD-R discs over the weekend and was trying to copy a home wedding movie on to the discs and each time I tried copying to these discs it just failed. It starts writing and after minute it errors and spits the disc out the drive.

I have used Nero 6, Sonic RecordNow and Intervideo DVDCopy 2 and it just never liked the DVD-R disc I was using.

I then bought some TDK 1-16x DVD-R discs which worked fine.

I'm a little confused and wondering can 8x discs work on a 4x Burner?

The reason I ask is that I have previously used 52x CD discs on my 48x Samsung Combi Burner and this process worked fine. So not sure why the Sony Burner ain't copying to the 8x discs. I thought the speed of the discs wouldn't matter as it would only write to the disc at 4x. Is this correct?

DVD Writers have dropped in price a lot since I bought this one, so guess its time to upgrade but wanted your thoughts on whether it should copy or if the discs are bad.

My Master drive is the SONY 510A and the Slave a Samsung SM348.

Diodorus Siculus 08:54 23 Jan 06

Could be a bad batch of disks... as you imply, the 8x disks should default to 4x as that is what the writer is doing.

keith-236785 09:00 23 Jan 06

i too would suspect the discs are faulty, i have recently had a bad spindle of +dvd's which after a short time wont read, giving a cyclical read error. having said that, my discs were cheap computer discs laughingly called "Datasafe", in my case anything but safe. tdk discs i believe offer a warranty if you can be bothered. otherwise, try a different brand of 8x discs to see if they work ok (they should)

good luck

Pikachu 09:21 23 Jan 06

Thanks Diodorus Siculus and paperman27 for your responses.

Will try getting into contact with Hewlett Packard and see what they will do.

Next time going to stick with TDK and Imation have never ever had problems with there discs.

rmcqua 09:29 23 Jan 06

There does seem to be a more general incompatibility problem between more modern 8x DVD-R discs and older burners.
Time for a new one, I agree, when the budget permits - as you say they have come down to silly prices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced