8th Nov Windows update is causing a problem

Ancient Learner 14:46 10 Nov 05

I did the latest update OK. All was fine until I went into another partition where I keep my games so as to delete some 'saves', because this is the only way I can access the files.

Double clicking on 'My Computer' produced a slower than normal reaction, double clicking on the Drive seemed normal, but double clicking on the gamefolder to open it, caused the PC to completely lock up.

After a few tries I used 'System Restore' (Blimey it worked!) to revert to before the update, and then everything worked just fine. So I tried again with the Update, and again it downloaded and installed without any apparent trouble. again I tried to access the game files, and again the PC froze solid.

Naturally I used 'System Restore' to get back.

Has anyone any ideas please? Or am I unique on the planet and everyone else has no probes

Skyver 15:27 10 Nov 05

Is the latest update in question "Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)" ?

ACOLYTE 17:25 10 Nov 05

I had a problem with this but it wasnt the same as yours mine was to do with IE click here

Ancient Learner 21:10 10 Nov 05

Yes, together with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Nov. 2005 (KB890830).

Ancient Learner 17:43 13 Nov 05

Oh Dear! I must be unique!!

I'll have to try and make sense of Microsoft when I feel I can cope with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…