8800 GTX Upgrade Problem

Chris-G- 15:09 19 Oct 07

I have been building my own systems for a few years and my current set-up is as follows

Core 2 Duo E6600
4GB Corsair XMS2-6400 Ram
Gigabyte 965P DS3
Seasonic 500w PSU
2 * 500 GB Hitachi Deskstar HDD
Asus GeForce 7900 GT 256MB
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Antec P180

I decided to upgrade my graphics card to the 8800 GTX and from some research I decided it would be sensible to upgrade my PSU.

So I decided on the Corsair HX 620W ATX 2.2 Modular PSU and the ASUS GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI (I went for the ASUS as I have never had a problem with them previously)

After I changed the PSU I ran the system with the current configuration (i.e. old card and it worked fine) the trouble came after I installed the new 8800 GTX. On power up I now get a high pitched tone coming from the card. I have attatched both the PCI-E power cables and tested both on my old card to check that both work and they power it ok. I also tried powering the graphics card alone with my old 500w PSU and still get the same problem.

I don’t think I have done anything wrong and think it’s a duff new card!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 15:35 19 Oct 07

you can get a slight hiss from the capacitors on the gtx, but if it's an actual tone, i think it's struggling for power, it needs (prefers) 31 amps on the 12volt rail.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 15:38 19 Oct 07

minimum 29 amps, i have just been corrected!

Chris-G- 15:45 19 Oct 07

I just checked the Corsair specs for the PSU and they state they support combined rating of 50 amps on the 12V rail.

I also read alot of reviews that stated the PSU had enough juice to power the 8800gtx.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 15:48 19 Oct 07

well if it is and you have said you have both leads connected. looks like a duff card. does the noise sound like a warning sound?

Chris-G- 15:53 19 Oct 07

yeah its a high pitched constant tone, sounds like a warning sound to me. Although never had a card fail on me so can't be certain.

The only thing that concerned me was that from some forums I read if the card is under powered it generally posts with the tone but all I get is the tone and nothing on screen.

Guess its a duff card thanks for your help it much appreciated

jarvis10@btinternet.com 15:59 19 Oct 07

yes they do, but only severly under powered, you can get away with a performance drop and no warning if you are only making minimum spec, but with that psu i think you need to return it. have you asked here? click here

Chris-G- 16:02 19 Oct 07

I'll give them a shot, thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now