813951 Update I.E.6 SP1

arrow 15:11 30 Mar 03

Each time I try, this update downloads in seconds and then takes forever to install. After 2 hours I get fed up, cancell it, and it then says installation is incomplete. However, during this time the clock runs 10 mins slow, and when I try to shut down I get an error message which repeats itself, and despite Ctrl Alt Del I eventually finish up pressing the reset button. This has now happened 6 times, and I have not installed the update! My O.S. is Windows ME on an Evesham Athlon 1.4 Ghz 60 Giga byte hard drive. Can somebody please help and put me or I.E.6 SP1 out of our misery? Many thanks. Arrow.

leo49 15:38 30 Mar 03

Are you installing 'on the fly'as it were via Windows Update or are you downloading the .exe and installing at your leisure? If the former try downloading it from the Update Catalogue and then double-clicking the .exe.

Regards

Stuartli 16:04 30 Mar 03

It should download and install within a few seconds through Windows UpDate - I downloaded it a short time back without any problems; it's only a small download.

arrow 16:07 30 Mar 03

Many thanks. I was trying to install 'on the fly'.
However, the search facility in Update Catalogue cannot find the above update. I have checked the no. again and it is exact.
Arrow.

leo49 16:21 30 Mar 03

That's funny - I went there half an hour ago and found it.It's sixth one down in the list of critical updates for ME.

813951: Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 - (Posted Date: March 25, 2003)
Download size: 345 KB
This update fixes an issue caused by Internet Explorer security patch 810847 that can cause authentication issues in Internet Explorer. Download now to avoid continuous authentication requests. After installing this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you install this update, it cannot be removed. Read More...

Regards

Lú-tzé 16:24 30 Mar 03

click here for the update you mention. It can be downloaded directly from this site.

http:// www. microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/813951/default.asp

arrow 17:19 30 Mar 03

Success at last!! Many thanks to you both.
Arrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…