80gig hard drive recognised in BIOS but not fdisk

disjointeddreamer 15:14 22 Feb 04

Hiya,

I've just been doing a lot of upgrading to my computer. I have just added an 80gig hard drive *Samsung make I think* and the BIOS recognises it as being 80gig. I then load fdisk and attempt to create a primary logical partition *i think that's the one.. the first option you get*, telling it to use all available hard drive space, but when it is done I only end up with 10gig space.

Does anyone have any solutions? In the bios it is set to auto for all the options. Cheers for any help you can provide!

Diodorus Siculus 15:18 22 Feb 04

Have you added it as slave or master?

You may be able to boot with your OS CD and use it to partition, format etc.

temp003 15:22 22 Feb 04

I wonder if this might be the cause click here Try it anyway. Apply the patch and copy the new fdisk on to the floppy, replacing the existing one.

Presumably you also chose large disk support.

disjointeddreamer 15:32 22 Feb 04

I am going to try the fdisk update.. I'm using an old Win98 boot setup disk.. so that may be the problem.

Will let you all know how it goes! wish me luck :)

Sheila-214876 17:14 22 Feb 04

Have exactly the same problem as you with an 80gb Seagate hard drive. BIOS sees it as an 80gb but fdisk sees it as 10gb. Have downloaded a bootdisk from click here but makes no difference. Have been told to take it back and get a Maxtor 80gb hard drive in exchange. Doing that tomorrow Monday. Will post the results.

disjointeddreamer 20:09 22 Feb 04

I have done the patch and it sorted it out. I was able to partition and format the hard drive.

Of course, WinXP is now refusing to install with the message "Disc (x) is corrupt and unfixable".. when in the dos setup section *if that makes sense*. I tried installing it on the other hard drive, but got the same message..

Any theories? or should I just chuck the whole thing out of the window?!

DieSse 20:27 22 Feb 04

If you're installing WinXP, then you should really not use Fdisk first. You can let WinXP do the partitioning and formatting for you, which will avaoid any out of date software, and/or kludges.

Simply boot from the XP CD and follow the instructions.

temp003 01:20 23 Feb 04

If your OS is going to be XP, then unless you need to create and format a FAT32 partition which is larger than 32GB, otherwise don't use fdisk.

XP can create and format an NTFS partition of whatever size, and a FAT32 partition not larger than 32GB.

You should normally use NTFS with XP.

If for any reason you must use FAT32, and the partition is larger than 32GB, only then do you use fdisk to create the partition. In that case, you must use the 98 boot disk to format the partition first (which will use FAT32) before it can be used by XP Setup.

Are you intending to install a new copy of XP on to the new disk?

If so, I suggest you start again. Make sure the new disk is connected as master on the ide cable, set jumper setting to Master.

If the old disk has an OS on it, I suggest you disconnect it for the time being. [i.e. unless you were going to create a dual boot, if so, post back.]

Boot up computer from the XP CD. When asked where to install XP, start all over again with the partitioning.

Highlight the existing partition, press D to delete partition. Confirm deletion. Then highlight what now becomes the "unpartitioned space", press C to create a new partition. Enter the size for the partition in MB (1GB=1024MB). With a disk size of 80GB, I suggest you not use up the whole space, but it's up to you. 20GB is ample unless you have a lot of big programs (such as 3D games) to install. Once XP is installed, you can create further partitions from within XP's Disk Management.

Even if you have FAT32 partitions on the other disk, XP on NTFS can read them, so there's no particular need for using FAT32.

But if you do need to use FAT32 for installing XP, at this stage, when you create the partition, create one less than 32GB (i.e. less than 32,768MB).

Highlight the newly created partition, then press Enter to install XP on it.

You will be given formatting options. If your partition is larger than 32GB, you will only be given the choice to format with NTFS. If you want to use FAT32 and have created a partition smaller than 32GB, then you should see an option to format with FAT.

If you have used the 98 boot disk and finished formatting it with FAT32 earlier, then at this stage, choose the option leave existing file system intact.

Make you choice. Wait for formatting to finish, then files will be copied to hard disk, and computer needs to reboot. Let it do so, leave CD in, but this time computer needs to restart from hard disk, so do NOT boot from CD.

After restart, follow the prompts. After all the setup steps, remove CD and restart into XP.

If you go into XP Setup and try to delete partition and XP Setup gives you the error message about the disk being corrupt (don't see why it should), then perhaps start again and use the 98 boot floppy to boot, and use fdisk to delete all partitions. Then start again with XP CD to install XP.

danro 04:03 23 Feb 04

Good advice from temp003. by the way when using fdisk on larg drives if your bios can reconize the proper size disk ignore the drive size info from fdisk & use % values (50%, 100% etc..), After you format you sgould see the correct size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…