802.11b/802.11g backward compatability

cyberphobic 21:46 07 Feb 05

Simple question - I have an 802.11g wireless network, should an 802.11b PCMCIA card which I have just bought work? (this one doesn't!)

Technotiger 22:06 07 Feb 05

Hi, don't know myself, but you might find your answer here -

click here

Cheers.

curlylad 22:56 07 Feb 05

Look here click here

kp 23:12 07 Feb 05

It should be compatable in theory. I have set up a similar network at home which worked (although unrelaibly)- an 802.11g router with an 802.11b USB connected card on the second PC. After creating several separate wireless networks home and work), I am very disillusioned with the whole wireless thing. It seems very unreliable and depends very much on the environment i.e distance, wall thickness, people walking around, aerial positioning etc.etc. At home, I have ended up using a wired system with the wireless router and it works perfectly - my wireless function is now redundant. The Belkin Pre-N set-up might be better but is more expensive. I have vowed not to invest in any more wireless kit until the technology improves.

kp

cyberphobic 08:22 08 Feb 05

Thanks for your suggestions, unless I'm missing something I can't find a specific answer to my question in any of the links which you provided. For reference the access point is a Netgear WG602 (802.11g) and the PCMCIA card is a D-Link DWL-650+. kp - sounds to me as though you have been unlucky, I have had my wireless network up for 9 months and only dropped the connection twice (each time I just needed to reboot the access point)I also live in an old building (walls up to 2ft thick!) but have not had problems, my access point is on the first floor this seems to work well for me.

cyberphobic 19:15 08 Feb 05

refresh

cyberphobic 19:49 08 Feb 05

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Network PC Card - Full Description
54g technology provides you with networking speeds nearly five times faster than the current Wi-Fi (802.11b) standard. The Card sets up with the ease and the simplicity of Plug-and-Play technology on any laptop equipped with a 32-bit CardBus slot. It slides into the 32-bit CardBus slot to enable a wireless connection to your network. 54g technology is the easiest wireless network to implement. The Card uses the wireless 54g 2.4GHz standard to offer you the widest working range - up to 1500 feet -and greater interoperability in mixed networking environments. 54g technology is backward-compatible with the 802.11b Wi-Fi networking standard, so it allows you to implement faster wireless technologies in combination with existing 802.11b Wi-Fi networks. PRODUCT FEATURES: Adds 54g wireless capabilities to laptop computers, for faster wireless networking available for home or office; Fits any standard 32-bit CardBus slot; Provides 3 times the wireless range of 802.11a clients; Offers backward-compatibility with the 802.11b Wi-Fi networking standard; Features wireless 64- and 128-bit WEP encryption; Allows you to use Turbo Mode and network at 54Mbps, the highest data rate for all 54g clients Keeps notebook batteries running longer with advanced, low-power consumption chipset.

This proves what I already know - that you can use an 802.11g card on an 802.11b network, but does the converse apply?

cyberphobic 09:12 09 Feb 05

Found the answer myself in the end! The answer is yes - an 802.11b card works absolutely fine (and just as quickly) with an 802.11g access point.The reason I had a problem was that the drivers from the CD were no good. As soon as I downloaded the latest drivers from the D-Link site I was up and running.

Technotiger 17:21 12 Feb 05

Thanks for the feedback - glad you have it sorted.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…