Is 802.11b the same as wi fi?

pinfog 04:51 11 Feb 03

I'm looking to a wireless network. I want a pcmcia wireless network card. i have ready about war-chalking and the possibility of accessing the 'net in coffe-shops with a 'WiFi' enabled laptop. Is a wirelss card spec 802.11b the same?

Forum Editor 07:49 11 Feb 03

or anywhere else by illicitly connecting to someone else's wireless network is a criminal offence, and isn't to be recommended - not that I'm suggesting you are planning to do it.

The is the standard home and business wireless networking technology, and your PCMCIA wireless networking card will use it.

Most business wireless networks operate on what's called 'infrastructure mode' which goes via a wireless access point, and is more secure - it means that you can't access the network from that coffee shop unless you are an authorised user on the domain - you'll need a login username and password. In addition, business networks will have WEP technology in use - WEP stands for Wireless Encryption Protocol. This technology provides heightened security, but at the expense of speed - it can slow the network down if there isn't some pretty hefty processing power in the wireless access point.

At home, your wireless network will operate in Ad hoc mode - which means that any computer with a wireless network adapter operating the 802.11b standard will be able to join the network if it's in range.

In practice you don't need to worry about people sitting outside your house in cars with laptops - stealing your precious ADSL bandwidth, or looking at your holiday snaps. That's the stuff of urban legend. Such people would:

a) Have to know you were operating the network in the first plac.

b) Have a laptop with a wireless network card installed.

c) Be in range

d) Be sad enough to want to sit hunched over a laptop outside someone's house in the first place.

Forum Editor 07:51 11 Feb 03

There should be "802.11b standard" between 'The' and 'is'. My apologies.

jazzypop 10:51 11 Feb 03

A simpler answer.

802.11b is one of the standards within the WiFi 'family' of standards, and is currently the most common one in use.

This is likely to change soon, as newer variations offer faster speeds or longer range.

Manufacturers claim that they can make all of the new implementations backwards-compatible, so that your 802.11b will happily work with the newer 802.11a or 802.11g standards.

See click here for further reading

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…