800x600 is my limit!

Jim6694 16:29 01 Jul 03

I can't seem to get a resolution of higher than 800x600 on Windows. The slide bar under display settings only gives me the option of 640x480 and 800x600 but I need it to go up to 1024x768.
My computer is quite old - a pentium II 333 Mhz with 196MB RAM runnin under Windows ME, but that shouldn't be a problem. I even bought a new graphics card - an NVIDIA TNT M64 - but that didnt solve the problem either. I know the card works because I can play games at all the resolutions, but Windows doesn't want to know! I've tried altering the settings for the card - defaul, optimal, and all the Mhz settings, no joy!. I've made sure I've got the right monitor driver too. It's driving me nuts! Help!!

keith-236785 16:49 01 Jul 03

right click on desktop, choose properties,

choose settings tab

choose Advanced

choose Adaptor

click show all modes, choose the screen size you want & the depth of colour

ie.800 by 600, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz

or in your case, 1024 by 768, True Color (32bit), 60 Hertz

if you have problems with these settings, try reducing the colour depth ie 24Bit or even down to 16Bit.

apply and ok, wait and your screen will change size, you have 15 seconds to choose to accept or reject the settings, if the screen goes funny and you cant see anything DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING, your screen will reset to its original, if you do press by accident and accept you will find ithard to get it back so be carefull.

Jim6694 17:06 01 Jul 03

Thanks Paperman,

But under ADAPTER there is no option to SHOW ALL MODES. There is just one pull-down menu with the following options - Default, Optimal, 60 Mhz, 70, 72, 75 and 85. I've tried them all but none make a difference.
Any more ideas? Thanks

DieSse 17:22 01 Jul 03

It's probably the monitor (inf) file taht won't let you change the setting.

Change your monitor type to an Acer 15p, and then try again.

keith-236785 16:34 04 Jul 03

yours is a NVIDIA TNT M64

mine is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 model 64

i thought that the settings would be the same but obviously not. send me an email and i will send you a screenshot back with the options i have, see if it helps

Quiller. 19:03 04 Jul 03

Do as paperman27 suggests in the 16.49 post, but pick monitor and then change.

Under models pick super Vga 1024x768 pick ok. on the next screen pick apply. This should change your monitor to these settings. If you want to try 75hertz then do it over again.

Smiler 19:12 04 Jul 03

Before you pick the resolution for the monitor make sure it is capable of showing that resolution or you could damage the monitor permanently

Quiller. 19:19 04 Jul 03

The post at 19.03 will not alter the screen resolution immediately. All it will do is to increase the slider in properties -settings -screen resolution.

When you go there to alter the slider, you will still have the same option as stated above.
"apply and ok, wait and your screen will change size, you have 15 seconds to choose to accept or reject the settings, if the screen goes funny and you cant see anything DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING, your screen will reset to its original, if you do press by accident and accept you will find ithard to get it back so be carefull."

wee eddie 19:51 04 Jul 03

What monitor you have and are trying to set up.

I think that this might be critical to the analysis of the problem!

Jim6694 00:39 05 Jul 03

Monitor is a TARGA TM3854-2. I have downloaded the driver from drivers.com and installed it.
Bizarrely, once when I tried to open video deluxe 7 the screen went blank, it changed the resolution to 1024x768, and I was able to use the program. When i returned to windows and went to DISPLAY I could select more screen resolutions including 1024x768. I thought that the problem was solved but the next day I booted up, everything was back to normal, 800x600 the maximum and when I tried to launch video deluxe this time it wouldn't work, saying I needed to change vide osetitngs manually! Explain that! Thanks for all your help so far by the way, I appreciate all your input.

DieSse 01:34 05 Jul 03

You can look in the monitor "driver" (inf file) - it's only a text file and can be opened with Notepad. You will see the choices in it. If it doesn't have 1024x768, then it will never appear in the settings.

If your monitor really is capable of higher than 800x600, then you'll have to use another monitor type. It really doesn't matter one jot if you use a different type - just make sure you don't try and set it to higher than it can operate at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…