800Mhz RAM?

Anti-Flag 13:08 06 Jan 07

Hi

What's the difference between 533 677 and 800 Mhz Ram?

How much difference to the speed of the RAM would it make in real terms (putting it with an E6600 in case that makes any difference)?

The 800Mhz is a lot more money so I don't want to spend the extra money for no real difference (although if it may make a difference in the future I'd rather spend it now)

should I 100% avoid 533Mhz? I want a very fast computer

cheers

Technotiger 13:24 06 Jan 07

Hi, you appear to be getting mixed up with CPU speed 800Mhz, and RAM size Gb's. Can you please be a bit clearer with your question.

Technotiger 13:25 06 Jan 07

PS - i.e. do you want to upgrade you CPU or increase your RAM, or even both?

ed-0 13:31 06 Jan 07

Anti-Flag is talking about ram click here

Anti-Flag

I don't use that fast ram, just 533Mhz but this may help click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:31 06 Jan 07

'533 677 and 800 Mhz' if you are talking about your CPU then there will be no discenible difference to mere mortals.

'I want a very fast computer'...why, Word will open just as quick as will any photo editing programmes. If you want it for games you will need much, much more.

G

Technotiger 13:40 06 Jan 07

Thanks friend, still not too old to learn, it is just that I have always associated Mhz with CPU, and Gb with RAM. - I did read through your click-here.

Cheers

ed-0 13:48 06 Jan 07

I think Anti-Flag is looking for a super duper:-) computer.

The choice of ram coupled with the intel Core 2 Duo conroe E6600, suggests to me a fairly high end machine.

Anti-Flag
I think I have heard of some compatability proplems with the conroe to ram, I personally have not ventured that far because of cost. But I think I also heard that they had been overcome, the problems. Sorry to be vauge, but some of the people hear have gone to that level of system building.

ed-0 14:13 06 Jan 07

for the E6600, I think it's running 800Mhz ram.

games wise, it's coming out fairly good, to me. click here

Full comparison click here

Anti-Flag 14:24 06 Jan 07

Thanks all, I wasn't expecting such a quick response. Sorry about not being clear. I made reference to the cpu in case it the extra clock speed of the RAM would only make a difference with a fast processor.

Thanks for the article I've read it and will probably save my money. I had two choices (because of cost) either get 2GB RAM 800Mhz or 4GB RAM 677Mhz. I know 4GB is a lot but I will be doing video n imaging editing and CAD.

So you think that the money would be better spent on the 4gb option? (thats the impression I got from the article)

cheers

terryf 14:27 06 Jan 07

The operating system (windows) will NOT recognise more than 3gb ram, I have 2 x 1gb and 2 x 512 kb.

Anti-Flag 14:58 06 Jan 07

even Vista?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…