80040154 - error message

jacquibrown 14:57 05 Apr 07

can anyone help an absolute beginer. this error message is really messing up the computer. I have error on page on lots of internet sites and really need help please.

skidzy 15:01 05 Apr 07

Possibly damaged or missing codecs click here i take it your os is xp sp2.

Technotiger 15:02 05 Apr 07

Hi, run Fix Errors ... from click here

Technotiger 19:40 05 Apr 07

"Asking me licence."

jacquibrown ... I don't know what licence it is asking for, I am assuming you mean after clicking on 'Fix Errors'. I have not used the program myself as I have never needed to, so did not know about 'licence'.

Perhaps you could give a bit more detail - here within this thread please - so that I, or others, may be able to help further.

Your obviously a Newbie, so welcome to the Forum. Not scolding you, but - the Yellow Envelope should only be used 'By Invitation' of the member whose Envelope it is. I hope you can become a regular user of the Forum, you will learn quite a lot, not just from your own problems but from everybody else's problems and answers too.

To this end I would advise you to download the PDF Forum Rules, they can be found at the Top Right of the Helproom main page.

Anyway, as I said - can you give us a bit more info of what happened when you tried my Link.

Sorry this is so long-winded.

mocha 10:22 06 Apr 07

Have you any Anti-Virus running on your computer, also a Firewall and Antispyware. Your problem could be spyware or virus. Also what is your OS Windows XP, 2000, ME. please let us know.

jacquibrown 16:02 06 Apr 07

only antivirus is microsoft standard stuff and adware

tullie 16:07 06 Apr 07

Suggest you download Avast or Avg,Microsoft standard stuff is only a firewall isent it?

jacquibrown 16:11 06 Apr 07

when it finishes scan in.. and it found about 500 problems!! it asks for all personal details and then links you to a page where you have purchase options.. not free? not sure if its deleted anything cos when i ran it again it came up with the same errors. Thanks for your input.. can you help any further

Technotiger 16:16 06 Apr 07

OK understood - I wish Free meant Free, bloomin' Firms ... have a look through this lot, if at first you don't succeed try a different one, I am sure you will find a Free one that works .. Good luck.

click here

Technotiger 16:20 06 Apr 07

Or - try CCleaner, this is free I use it myself ..

click here

click on Run Cleaner, in bottom right corner.

VoG II 16:22 06 Apr 07

Try these:

Spybot click here
Superantispyware click here
AVG Antispyware click here
A-squared click here

all free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant