7in1 card reader

SonnyB 21:33 29 Mar 04

I have just bought a card reader which reads 7 types of card via four slots. No software installation necessary. However my XP pc can only 'see' three out of four slots. I returned it to shop where it worked but exchanged for another which tested fine in shop but again once connected to mine only 3 out of 4 drives visible. I tried it on another pc and it was fine so why is it not working properly on mine?
Any advice appreciated.

BIG ben strikes 10 21:46 29 Mar 04

what is the interface? i.e,USB.if it is a usb interface then it could be that it only supports usb2 and you have a usb1 sockets.if this is the problem then you could buy a USB PCI adapter.

accord 21:52 29 Mar 04

have you gone to the manufacturers website and downloaded the up to date driver?

Cuddles 22:18 29 Mar 04

Have you enabled further letters to be shown for drives, you may find you need to assign more drive letters.

SonnyB 22:47 29 Mar 04

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Cuddles I think you are closest because when I look at properties it has assigned a letter to each of the four drives, F,G,H and I.
Well I already have a G and a J so it should skip to K but does not. This is all I can think of. So how do I assign it another letter or force it to go to K?

SonnyB 13:08 30 Mar 04

Many thanks for your suggestions. Cuddles I think you are closest because when I look at properties it has assigned a letter to each of the four drives, F,G,H and I. Well I already have a G and a J so it should skip to K but does not. This is all I can think of. So how do I assign it another letter or force it to go to K?

Newuser4165 14:17 30 Mar 04

Assuming you have admin rights:-
Start , Settings , Control Panel , Admin Tools ,Computer Management , Disk Manager
Since you say you aleady have a drive G then Right Click drive G
Select Change drive letter and Paths
Select Change then Assign(use K)
OK and exit admin tools.

Windows always tries to put these additional letters in a row even if one letter has already been used.Pain in the ar** especially if you have Network Drives

Stuartli 15:34 30 Mar 04

The fact that you have four removable drive letters assigned to the 7 in 1 card reader indicates that it is in perfect working order; some memory cards use the same particular slot.

You should be able to see the "drives" listed from My Computer and then your C drive.

Whether you use USB 1 or 2.0 makes no difference to the card reader's operation, only the speed of data transfer.

You also don't need a driver as you have XP - you will with earlier versions of Windows.

Newuser4165 16:22 30 Mar 04

I think sonny says he can only see 3 drives out of the 4

Stuartli 16:31 30 Mar 04

Yes, in the thread but, further down, he writes:

"Cuddles I think you are closest because when I look at properties it has assigned a letter to each of the four drives, F,G,H and I."

XP's Help and Support details how to change drive letters as necessary.

My 7 in 1 card reader uses the same "removable" drive letters because my rewriter is E.

SonnyB 16:53 30 Mar 04

Yes, sorry, My Computer can only 'see' three drives, F, H and I. As I say, G is already assigned, as is J so I need to assign K so this is what I need to be able to do.
How would I do this and why has XP not just skipped the ones I have and gone to K?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now