7in1 card reader

SonnyB 21:33 29 Mar 04

I have just bought a card reader which reads 7 types of card via four slots. No software installation necessary. However my XP pc can only 'see' three out of four slots. I returned it to shop where it worked but exchanged for another which tested fine in shop but again once connected to mine only 3 out of 4 drives visible. I tried it on another pc and it was fine so why is it not working properly on mine?
Any advice appreciated.

BIG ben strikes 10 21:46 29 Mar 04

what is the interface? i.e,USB.if it is a usb interface then it could be that it only supports usb2 and you have a usb1 sockets.if this is the problem then you could buy a USB PCI adapter.

accord 21:52 29 Mar 04

have you gone to the manufacturers website and downloaded the up to date driver?

Cuddles 22:18 29 Mar 04

Have you enabled further letters to be shown for drives, you may find you need to assign more drive letters.

SonnyB 22:47 29 Mar 04

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Cuddles I think you are closest because when I look at properties it has assigned a letter to each of the four drives, F,G,H and I.
Well I already have a G and a J so it should skip to K but does not. This is all I can think of. So how do I assign it another letter or force it to go to K?

SonnyB 13:08 30 Mar 04

Many thanks for your suggestions. Cuddles I think you are closest because when I look at properties it has assigned a letter to each of the four drives, F,G,H and I. Well I already have a G and a J so it should skip to K but does not. This is all I can think of. So how do I assign it another letter or force it to go to K?

Newuser4165 14:17 30 Mar 04

Assuming you have admin rights:-
Start , Settings , Control Panel , Admin Tools ,Computer Management , Disk Manager
Since you say you aleady have a drive G then Right Click drive G
Select Change drive letter and Paths
Select Change then Assign(use K)
OK and exit admin tools.

Windows always tries to put these additional letters in a row even if one letter has already been used.Pain in the ar** especially if you have Network Drives

Stuartli 15:34 30 Mar 04

The fact that you have four removable drive letters assigned to the 7 in 1 card reader indicates that it is in perfect working order; some memory cards use the same particular slot.

You should be able to see the "drives" listed from My Computer and then your C drive.

Whether you use USB 1 or 2.0 makes no difference to the card reader's operation, only the speed of data transfer.

You also don't need a driver as you have XP - you will with earlier versions of Windows.

Newuser4165 16:22 30 Mar 04

I think sonny says he can only see 3 drives out of the 4

Stuartli 16:31 30 Mar 04

Yes, in the thread but, further down, he writes:

"Cuddles I think you are closest because when I look at properties it has assigned a letter to each of the four drives, F,G,H and I."

XP's Help and Support details how to change drive letters as necessary.

My 7 in 1 card reader uses the same "removable" drive letters because my rewriter is E.

SonnyB 16:53 30 Mar 04

Yes, sorry, My Computer can only 'see' three drives, F, H and I. As I say, G is already assigned, as is J so I need to assign K so this is what I need to be able to do.
How would I do this and why has XP not just skipped the ones I have and gone to K?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…