700mhz Celeron 133 vs 700mhz Pentium III 100

lukeprice 09:12 24 Nov 06

Pretty much what is says on the tin for this one. I have an old laptop. I have a 700mhz Celeron and a 700mhz Pentium III. I am looking for speed, which one do I put in?

Thanks in advance.

recap 09:15 24 Nov 06

700mhz Pentium III is the faster of the two lukeprice.

ed-0 09:28 24 Nov 06

the Pentium 111 is far superior.

Are you sure you can change the cpu on the lappy?

Stuartli 09:47 24 Nov 06

I think you will find that you can't substitute the PentiumIII for the Celeron (as desirable as it is) as, at least in the case of the Socket370 versions of these speeds at the time, there were different voltages for the Pentium.

I used to have an Elite motherboard which was the first in the world to feature both a Socket370 and Slot1 facility.

The Socket370 could only be used with a Celeron and the PentiumII or III with Slot1 (unless you added a Slocket converter).

lukeprice 09:54 24 Nov 06

...is a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E6355. This is the laptop with the Celeron in, the Pentium III came out of a Toshiba Satellite 4300 Pro which died a sad death... I hope I can switch cpus... :(

Stuartli 10:31 24 Nov 06
  lukeprice 10:40 24 Nov 06

It says here:

[url]click here[/url]

That the Celeron processor also has Speedstep tech. Does this make any difference, thank you for the links btw, I will read them when I get home!

Stuartli 10:56 24 Nov 06

It's the voltages that are relevant.

lukeprice 11:28 24 Nov 06

After reading the links it seems that the core voltage for the Celeron is 1.1v and the core voltage for the Pentium is 1.6/1.3v? Is this correct? Does this mean I cannot swap them? As you can guess I am new too upgrading laptops!

Thanks

ed-0 11:41 24 Nov 06

it's difficult to tell with the information from the bios.

One thing it does say is the speed step technology. This is not the change of the Front Side Bus but the change in the way the motherboard manipulates the multiplier to save power and cut down on heat.

So if dropping a 100Mhz fsb pentium into the 133Mhz fsb of a celeron motherboard. So unless the board can auto detect and drop fsb to 100Mhz, it may fry the cpu? A possibility to consider.

On the plus side, if the celeron is made to run at a lower voltage than the pentium. Then IF it fits into the motherboard, you boot it up and it does not automatically adjust the core voltage, you aren't going to fry it via that method as the voltage will be lower.

So you may have a positive on one side and a negative on the other.

You can always try it, but there maybe a chance that you could damage the pentium cpu. To be totally pessimistic and you must look at the chance.

You could and I stress could, blow the chip and the motherboard. You could be left with a non functioning laptop. Is the risk worth it?

Only you know.

Stuartli 11:50 24 Nov 06

Bit more reading to do (!):

click here

click here

I think you will have to ascertain what type of mobile CPU is involved in each case (low voltage etc) and whether the specifications match up. My guess, for what it's worth, is that it is unlikely.

There should be a code on each CPU to identify it (key it into the Intel website search box to find out the exact specifications).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant