70% of CPU constantly in use

NW2425 08:56 23 Feb 05

I've recently noticed a performance deteriation from my PC and having checked the CPU it is always in use between 60% and 70% and yet I have the bare minimum running (I Think!).

PC is an AMD Athlon 1333 running Windows ME (not the best for diagnostics!).

Within approx. 2 mins of powering up and everything (I am aware of) loading the ME System Monitor shows CPU usage varying between 15% and 20%. Once I connect to the internet this increases to 60% to 70% (two different problems?). Once I disconnect it REMAINS at this level.

Being ME, I have no task manager to see where the processor is going. I have used CTRL-ALT-DEL to end all processes it shows (except for Windows) but the processor os still in use.

Have run Norton Anti-Virus which has found nothing. Recently upgraded my ZoneAlarm (basic free copy) to 2004 version.

1. Any ideas on what might be causing the processor to be in use so much?

2. In ME, can I view anything like a Task Manager that would show me where the processor is being used?

Diodorus Siculus 09:01 23 Feb 05

Win9x/ME Task Manager - Download Freeware software from our Memory boosters category
click here

Also, do a spyware check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…