7-Zip uninstall renders Comp. unusable XP

SillBill 18:13 PM 27 Dec 12

My brother uninstalled 7-Zip (he doesn't recall actually installing it) immediately his computer stopped opening any shortcuts or files - folders open but the contents don't. Is there a fix for this?

SillBill 18:17 PM 27 Dec 12

dr yes

He cannot open ANYTHING.

SillBill 18:23 PM 27 Dec 12

dr yes

Thanks will have a look.

SillBill 18:35 PM 27 Dec 12

dr yes

have passed on the link, waiting for answer from Canada.

SillBill 19:41 PM 27 Dec 12

From what I have gleaned from various sites it is unlikely that 7-Zip is the culprit, although if not completely removed by an uninstaller such as REVO it will leave a bunch of entries in the registry that CAN interfere with the OS i.e. make it unusable. 7-Zip funnily enough was not in the REVO uninstall list so it probably was not completely removed. Consensus seems to be that it is probably a virus and he has managed to get Malwarebytes scanning. I'll update this thread when I learn more.

SillBill 17:21 PM 28 Dec 12

Update: Malwarebytes found nothing and Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10 just crashes, computer is still unusable.

bremner 17:55 PM 28 Dec 12

I am only seeing postings from the OP where have the replies gone?

bumpkin 17:57 PM 28 Dec 12

This is odd, the site says 7 replies but I can only see your 5. Nothing from dr yes or anyone else???

SillBill 18:00 PM 28 Dec 12

Some dork posted spam so I guess they deleted the lot, but there were no positive suggestions.

SillBill 18:01 PM 28 Dec 12

oops that looks bad! there were no suggestions that helped, I meant!

bumpkin 18:15 PM 28 Dec 12

Ok so can we start with some information, what PC, what OS, what have you tried so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off