7 yr old XP-Should i reinstall or simply fix?

buel 09:31 AM 22 Apr 11

Hi, my friend has lent me his 7yr old (apparently) laptop, a Toshiba A100, which runs XP and he said it no longer connects wirelessly to his broadband. He mentioned that he wouldn't mind if i reinstalled XP but upon using it i find it remarkably quick and it seems that the only main problem is a virus called 'XP Anti-Spyware' which i believe Malwarebytes finds and erases.

My question is should i bother reinstalling XP and then find all the drivers necessary, or simply tweak it a bit, run msconfig, install Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, AVG, Defraggler and Ccleaner and get it working again (i assume that the virus is stopping it connecting wirelessly). Ps- i have tried installing Malwatrebytes but it wont open or run...would that be the 'XP Anti-Spyware' stopping it?

All answers appreciated, thank you!!

johndrew 09:48 AM 22 Apr 11

Malwarebytes have recognised the problem with this malware and their software and given the advice in the last post in this thread link text (posted by True Member). It should allow you to install, update and run Malwarebytes to remove the problem.

Another option is provided here link text

It seems unnecessary to do a complete reinstall if you only have the one problem which can be dealt with.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:03 AM 22 Apr 11

Just tweak it.

My 6 and a half year old Medion running XP is flying along and never been reinstalled.

Good protection and cleaning habits will keep XP running well for years.

birdface 10:04 AM 22 Apr 11

Or try this.

To remove false security programs

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
  2. When the Advanced startup options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
  3. Open internet explorer goto google.com ,download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
  4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer
  5. Activate Free Licence
  6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

buel 18:18 PM 22 Apr 11

Hello and thank you for your excellent help. Buteman, i've opened it up in safe mode with networking but there doesn't seem to be any wireless option?

buel 18:25 PM 22 Apr 11

Update: I downloaded Hitman Pro to my laptop, plugged a USB drive into my laptop to transfer it and immediately AVG found two infections on the USB drive.....that had previously been plugged into the infected laptop. Can it be transferred this way?

buel 18:32 PM 22 Apr 11

Update again- I ran Hitman Pro, even though it couldn't connect to the net to update, and nothing was found. How odd?

buel 21:38 PM 22 Apr 11

Hi, just another upadte- I managed to erase/destroy the virus using this method (using Notepad) Thought it may be of use...! Thank you all....i'll twaek it now! Ps- i cant believe how well it runs considering it is 7 years old...it flies!!

buel 11:14 AM 23 Apr 11

Hi, i have got rid of the virus but strangely the wireless can not find ANY of the wireless signals in the close area (neighbours etc)....is that odd?

Les28 12:33 PM 23 Apr 11

WinSock XP Fix any use?

Strawballs 12:41 PM 23 Apr 11

Now you have got rid of the virus try doing a repair install that will leave your data intact. XP repair install

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…