7 Day Shop & VAT

Beas-Knees 21:48 17 May 04

I have been following a thread about which Digital camera to buy and I recommended one from 7 day Shop which is based in Guernsey,However Georgemac stated that he had heard that purchases from this company were now liable to VAT which was collected on delivery,can anyone confirm if this is the case and if so how is it implemented and by whom.Cheers.

shazza65 21:53 17 May 04

I have bought many an ink cartridge from this website and have not noticed anything about VAT, however this was till about 3 months ago.

What I have noticed recently is that their 95p delivery per item seems to have gone by the wayside.

cycoze 22:02 17 May 04

From thier `About Us` page click here , If your delivery address is outside of Guernsey you may be subject to duties/taxes/charges which may be levied once the package/s reach the delivery destination. Any such charges must be bourne by you. We have no control over these charges and we cannot predict what they might be.

I think orders worth under £18 dont come into it so it probably wouldnt effect you for a few cartridges shazza65.

hssutton 22:08 17 May 04

The courier collects the tax and also imposes a collection charge. Here's a thread running about it. click here

pharte 23:25 17 May 04

as I understand it the tax is liable if our friends at c & e actually hold (sieze) the goods until tax is paid, it is a hit and miss affair so a good price may not be all it seems if you add the uk tax onto the price.
They are active at all mojor sorting offices and look out for imported goods which may be liable for import tax.

I suppose that when it is posted there is a description of the goods on the docket and this will be used as a first point to deem wether anything is liable for uk taxes.

spuds 00:00 18 May 04

About six months ago,HM Custom & Excise began to look very closely at the increased trading that was coming into the UK from these 'offshore' based companies.The result of that,as been a tightening up of the regulations, so all parties have need to be very carefull.If you notice, most of the companies trading from the Channel Isles have now changed their delivery charges. In the past some companies like 7Day Shop and 101Cd, charged nothing or very little for delivery as a further incentive to their customers.This as now ceased due to increased costs on the administration and pressures from HM Custom & Excise.

Under £18.00 and you may get away with it, over £18.00 and you will pay a 'surcharge'if processed.Some cd companies are splitting the packages, so the cost comes below the declared value of £18.00, but no doubt this will cease, when further administration procedures come into being.

cycoze 00:07 18 May 04

So having placed an order earlier before logging into PCA and choking afterwards , does anyone know if its easy to cancel an order ?

SEASHANTY 10:28 18 May 04

The previous thread on this 7 Day Shop was here
click here
The link I gave to the Inland Revenue notice on this is also listed on this page. Note I had to go to our local Royal Mail sorting office yesterday to collect a boxed set of DVD's from Playusa.com. The charge for this pack was £55. This was picked up by C & E in the Mount Pleasant sorting office. Vat charged was £9-62 plus the R.M. collection charge of £4. Total £13-62. I had to pay this charge at the local sorting office BEFORE the package was handed over. If you do not pay this charge the package is return to HM C&E.

SEASHANTY 10:33 18 May 04

Doesn't sound all that clear in my posting. The cost of the DVD boxed set was £55 which was collected in sterling. (I have an account with
Play.com in Jersey C.I. and this is linked to their
USA website so the cost is paid in sterling). Because the DVD's were sent from the USA I had to pay the Vat & Royal Mail charges extra.

hssutton 13:10 18 May 04

pharte. You are almost correct, If C&G deem duties are to be paid, they allow the goods to proceed to the buyer, but the courier or P.O. must collect taxes due on delivery. Example, Two items purchased from USA $186.90 + shipping, total $226.90. Paid out to courier on delivery Vat & £21.84. Duties £4.22. Brokerage charges £10. This was for photographic item. A saving of £22 compared with buying in this country.

archimedes 15:44 22 Nov 04

I note that in July of the year 7-Day Sale.com changed their conditions and stated that everything they sell to an address in the UK is VAT free. See click here
Has anyone bought anything recently and tried this system out?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…