64mb Radeon 7000AGP upgrade.

Fred the flour grader 16:05 19 Jan 04

I have spotted the above on a web-offer from Thecomputershop.co.uk. As I am only using a 16mb ati Rage128 card. Is this a worthwhile upgrade and is it easy to do?.

dth 16:56 19 Jan 04

Yes it will be a worthwhile upgrade - depending on what you use your p/c for. If you just do letters, send emails and go on the internet then you wouldn't really notice any different. But with any graphic work and the like or games - yes you will notice a big improvement.

It is quite straight forward to change the graphic cards over. You just delete the reference to the Rage one (for win 98 - start / settings / control panel / system / device manager / display adaptors - then click on the entry for your Rage card and select remove).

Turn your p/c off, open the case and take the old card out and put the new one in. Restart your p/c and then put in the driver CD and away you go.

The only word of caution is that if your p/c is (say) more than 4 years old the power supply might not be high enough to support the new graphic card. Generally you need a 300w one. Again this is not really that much of a problem as it is fairly cheap to buy a new power supply and straight forward to fit.

hugh-265156 17:09 19 Jan 04

yes it will be an improvement over what you have but will struggle with most receint games.

the radeon 7000 is well out of date and if you want to play games at all i would go for a buget radeon 9200 card minimum about £50.

citadel 18:41 19 Jan 04

its best to remove the drivers for your old card first, use an anti-static wristband when working inside the pc and only hold the graphics cards by the edges.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…