64 million dollar question/s

rotormota 14:05 31 Dec 05

Hi,

Is it better to leave a PC on 24/7 rather than turning off at night then rebooting each day?

Does running numerous daily scans for spyware/trojans/virus & regular optimizing wear a hard drive out quicker in the long run?

Regards,
J

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 31 Dec 05

Is it better to leave a PC on 24/7 rather than turning off at night then rebooting each day?

No windows needs a reboot every now and again to refresh registry settings and various other things.

EG just burnt a DVD will not auto play or show files in explorer but will work perfectly after a reboot.

Does running numerous daily scans for spyware/trojans/virus & regular optimizing wear a hard drive out quicker in the long run?

Only run a scan very couple of days most decent antipy / antivirus has active scanning in system tray.

Perhaps only need to scan if been on dubious sites such as ringtones, screensavers etc.

palinka 14:25 31 Dec 05

this topic has appeared from time to time in this forum.
The jury still seem to be out on the effect on your PC's hard-drive.
Otherwise answers seem to divide between those who don't care how much electricity costs them and those who recognise (as I do) that if we all leave our electronic gear (PCs, TVs, etc)on 24/7 we are contributing to global warming by a considerable amount.

De Marcus™ 14:31 31 Dec 05

As many times as this question has been raised I've resisted the temptation to post. This time I'll have two penneth. My PC is on when I'm sitting in front it, or it's busy doing some encoding work and doesn't require me at the desk. Otherwise it's off at the mains. I've heard such things as components failing due to a pc being switched on and off continually and find it utter rubbish, the rate at which the average home user could wear a part/switch out is somewhat overated and by the time a part is worn out, it's most likely far past it's sell by date in terms of an upgrade or of very poor quality.

rotormota 14:35 31 Dec 05

Good point Palinka.

To elaborate I must add that my PC does tend to get a daily reboot anyway usually due to an install or a freeze up!

I have to say though that most big problems such as hard drive failure for instance have tended to be at boot up or switch off.

They say that an aeroplane is most likely to fail at take off or landing. Can the same principle be applied to a PC?

Regards,
Jules.

ade.h 14:48 31 Dec 05

Yes, I'm with Palinka on that point. Apart from saving a bob or two over a year, it would have a great effect if we all thought like that.

SG Atlantis® 14:53 31 Dec 05

on while I'm near it.

off when I go out, unless I am running something like video or a scan.

Off at night.

Belatucadrus 15:53 31 Dec 05

The old chestnut that some people used to wheel out was that turning a PC on and off could cause thermal expansion and contraction that could damage soldered connections, I've been using PCs longer than I care to remember, I always turn them off at night and have never seen any component fail due to this much vaunted PC killer, either at work, college or home.
I have however seen unattended PCs toasted by voltage spikes in thunderstorms.
Turn off every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…