64 bit processor and existing software

Alf58 00:48 22 Feb 06

My daughters machine is getting long in the tooth so I am considering replacing it with a machine with a 64 bit processor. She does school work and plays Sims 2. Will this game run on a 64 bit machine? Indeed will any of our existing WinXp Sp2 compatible software run on a 64 bit machine?

User-312386 00:53 22 Feb 06

Yes it will as long as you dont get WindowsXP64bit edition

Alf58 00:57 22 Feb 06

I see. Why is this? Are there no software patches available?

john63 01:20 22 Feb 06

You need special 64bit drivers with WinXP 64bit edition as far as I know...

dms05 07:48 22 Feb 06

I've just bought an Acer 5003 laptop with AMD 64 Turon processor and all my old software works without an hitch (XP Home, MS Office, OpenOfficeOrg v2, MS Autoroute, Opera, Firefox, Thunderbird and lots more). It's certainly much faster than the equivalent clock speed Intel Mobile Celeron laptop it replaced. And you can buy an AMD 64 bit powered computer for the same price as the equivalent Intel 32 bit machine.

rmcqua 08:35 22 Feb 06

Alf58
I bought a 64 bit laptop (E-Machines) when we lived in the 'States and they first became available. We had a huge library of software, some of it quite long in the tooth, and there was not one item that didn't work OK with the 64 bit machine. I don't think you need have any concerns.

Totally-braindead 10:32 22 Feb 06

Theres been a few postings recently about 64 bit problems, mainly about drivers. As I understand it there is no problem whatsoever running a 64 bit processor, as I in fact have, with a 32 bit version of Windows XP. The problem comes if you run the 64 bit version of Windows with a 64 bit processor. Basically some manufacturers have not created 64 bit drivers for their hardware and some have no intention of doing so.
This is similar to the problem that occured when Windows XP appeared in that if you had old hardware you couldn't get a driver for it. Some manufacturers did write a new XP driver but they only did this for the newest items. There were some workarounds in some cases, I had an Agfa scanner and there was no driver for it and Agfa told me they weren't creating one as my scanner was too old, eventually got it running using a Windows NT driver and it lasted me for a few years before being replaced. Sadly I believe this is not the case under the 64 bit version of Windows, there either is a driver or there isn't, if there isn't you've had it.

So if you get a good deal on a 64 bit processor then theres no reason not to buy it but personally I wouldn't have the 64 bit version of Windows as I think it would cause some problems. It will run fine using the standard Windows XP and will still run any software.

bruno 12:19 22 Feb 06

I recently changed up to an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and have not had any problems at all.

Lettervanman 12:34 22 Feb 06

Seems to me that there is confusion re.64 bit processors and Windows XP 64 bit edition.

Mine is AMD64 Processor and works just fine as others have said.
What I do not have is XP64 bit Edition.

Totally-braindead has explained it well!

rmcqua 14:35 22 Feb 06

Lettervanman
You're right. And Alf58's question concerned 64 bit processors, not Win XP 64 bit.

Daibus 14:40 22 Feb 06

Just to follow on - am thinking of buying a Notebook PC so is it favourable to go for one with an Intel processor(incl dual-core maybe)or is it best to plum for a machine, fitted with an AMD 64 Turon processor?

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017