64 Bit?

zach_jdia 10:13 25 May 06

I am starting to build my own system. (Buying parts when I can afford them as I'm a poor student) I want an SLI system, mainly because I like tinkering and this is a new project. I don't think i will be able to build a system on an S939 architecture but there is an option to build an S754 SLI system. Basically I would like to know, if I bought an S754 AMD64 processor, would it still run a standard copy of windows XP or would I have to buy the x64 edition?

gudgulf 10:21 25 May 06

click here is a Socket 754 Sli equipped motherboard.....there are others.A quick Google search will reveal all.

Sandard 32bit XP runs very well on a 64bit Athlon..........thats the reason so many people use them.The marketing babble prefers to dwell on the 64 bit capability part, but in the real world they are damned fine 32 bit processors too.

gudgulf 10:31 25 May 06

Spell check.....Standard not Sandard.

oops!

Oh one other thing...Socket 754 Sli boards are a bit thin on the ground in the UK but this one might interest you click here

zach_jdia 12:06 25 May 06

That was very helpful, thank you. That board is a lot cheaper than the one i was looking at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…