6 gig drive only showing 944mb

digitaldilema 15:34 31 Jul 03

I was given a Elonex PC-5166/1, from my employer with windows 2000 network installed. It has been used to train IT for a number of years, hence full of crap. It has better spec than my Compaq P166, so i thought i would format and fdisk and then load my Win98 onto it, and dispose of my compaq. I managed to format and fdisk or so i thought, my problem now is that i know for a fact that the Elonex has a 6 gig hard drive installed, but no matter how many times i fdisk it only shows a 944mb drive. Am i doing something wrong? if anyone can offer any suggestions, please explain what to do in easy terminology as i have limited PC knowledge. I only attempted fdisk as i had easy to follow info on deleting and creating partitions.

digitaldilema 15:37 31 Jul 03

Sorry i forgot to add that i have managed to install Win98 onto the drive, but it does not leave much space for office 97 and other software.

TBH1 17:28 31 Jul 03

what size does the BIOS think it is ?
and if you fdisk /status what do you get there ?

digitaldilema 19:08 31 Jul 03

TBH1, i'm not quite sure what i'm looking at.

TBH1 22:33 31 Jul 03

digitaldilema - - this has been ticked - -is it sorted now ? The BIOS is displayed right after boot-up and will display your hard discs, cd roms etc - - there is a key you can press to pause this as it executes so you can see more clearly ( can't think which one right now) . I had need to get imformation from this and ended booting 4 times to get it !!! This imfo will tell you what size the BIOS is seeing.
The fdisk bit of this - - -if you start system using your startup floppy you will eventually come to the A: prompt - - -if you type in fdisk /status it will list out all partitions on your disc - - from your imfo it may be your disc has a non DOS partition on it, maybe UNIX or something - - -this would neet deleting via this fdisk utility.

TBH1 22:37 31 Jul 03

digitaldilema - - this has been ticked - -is it sorted now ? The BIOS is displayed right after boot-up and will display your hard discs, cd roms etc - - there is a key you can press to pause this as it executes so you can see more clearly ( can't think which one right now) . I had need to get imformation from this and ended booting 4 times to get it !!! This imfo will tell you what size the BIOS is seeing.
The fdisk bit of this - - -if you start system using your startup floppy you will eventually come to the A: prompt - - -if you type in fdisk /status it will list out all partitions on your disc - - from your imfo it may be your disc has a non DOS partition on it, maybe UNIX or something - - -this would neet deleting via this fdisk utility.

TBH1 22:38 31 Jul 03

just in case I needed to repeat it ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…