56k dialup connection over broadband line

Robinj 16:43 20 May 06

My old computer (w98se) can no longer access the internet using a 56k modem since my connection was upgraded to broadband. Same non result when trying in a different (also broadband) house. Changing the modem also failed to work.
I want to pass the computer on to a distant location without broadband.
Is there a reason for the failure or do I have a different problem?

woodchip 16:49 20 May 06

The internal modem as to be connected to the other side of the filter plug, phone side for it to work. You can then use it as a fax. So that you have to connectitions from computer to phone line BB and Dial-Up

Taff™ 16:52 20 May 06

I can`t think of a reason why the dial up won`t work as normal on the BB telephone line. I do it frequently with machines that are 98SE.

The fact that you`ve tried it on another line and changed the modem tells me that it`s a problem with the computer. Perhaps you`ve loaded the wrong drivers for the modem? Hook it up to the telephone line and try to connect to the internet through dial up. Post back what error messages you get.

woodchip 16:57 20 May 06

It's no different than connecting a extra telephone

Taff™ 17:02 20 May 06

To clarify what woodchip says your cable from the computer modem must pass through one adsl filter on it`s way to the master socket. click here

Robinj 17:39 20 May 06

Thanks for the help. I will try again using a socket (and filter) well away from my router.

Stuartli 18:32 20 May 06

I have both a broadband modem and a dialup modem - the broadband is the default ISP connection.

The BB ADSL cable is taken direct to the Master Socket and connected to a splitter. The splitter's phone line socket has a two-way adapter fitted; the first is used for the main phone and the second for a telephone extension cable which serves the dialup modem.

This arrangement works quite satisfactorily for me and I had no need to make any changes for the dialup modem other than the fitting of the splitter to accommodate BB - the two-way adapter was already in use.

Taff™ 19:44 20 May 06

Surely your splitter is in fact an ADSL Filter Splitter? It sounds like you don`t have any filters?

Stuartli 19:58 20 May 06

Same thing.

Taff™ 20:12 20 May 06

I know what you meant but others may not!

A telephone line splitter may have 2/3 or 4 sockets for telephones, faxes, modems etc - these are all BT telephone sockets and are to be found at any Pound Shop in the high street. An ADSL splitter normally has only two - a bt telephone socket and an RJ11 modem cable socket. It will say ADSL Filter on the body.

Stuartli 20:19 20 May 06

The discussion involves broadband and dialup modems...:-)

I'm obviously quite aware of what an ADSL splitter does and looks like (I've got three in use), along with different type of faceplates; I feel the word "splitter" was perfectly adequate in this particular instance, especially as I mentioned phone/dialup modem and ADSL cables being connected in the appropriate sockets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…