54G Wireless LAN Adapter PCI card - now what?

Tadpole Ted 18:56 15 Oct 05

Hi
I just bought a brand new computer with a 54G Wireless LAN Adapter PCI card fitted.
I currently share my NTL Broadband connection between two old computers via a crossover cable.
Rather than try and wire in a third machine with cable - which would take miles of cable and major disruption to carpets, it would seem sensible to set up a central wireless gizmo from which all the computers can access the net.
I'm a total noob when it comes to wireless networking so my question is, what should I get?

Is this the sort of thing I should buy?

click here

Ta

retep888 19:53 15 Oct 05

This is something you should get.

click here

Strawballs 20:16 15 Oct 05

As retep888 has said you will need a wireless router plus some form of wireless adapter for the other 2. You say they are old how old if they have usb the esiest route is wireless usb adapters but the best way would be PCI cards if they have spare slots and you don't mind taking off the sides.

Tadpole Ted 20:36 15 Oct 05

I was planning to buy the same PCI adapter cards as fitted in the new computer I bought, so thats not a problem.
I have an NTL USB broadband modem. I take it that the USB bit from the modem simply plugs into the router and thats it?
Thanks guys...

retep888 20:52 15 Oct 05

You'll need the ethernet cable, the USB cable is only good for when you're using ICS.

Here's an exemple:

click here

Tadpole Ted 21:45 15 Oct 05

Brilliant - have purchased a router and will get me one of those cables.
Many thanks for your help.

retep888 22:01 15 Oct 05

Make sure you get one of this, not the crossover but I think the router normally does include it in the package.

HTH

Tadpole Ted 01:05 17 Oct 05

Thanks again Retep888 - before I go buy a cable I'll wait and see whats in the box when the router arrives.
Ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…