5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack

pccake 09:43 AM 08 Feb 13

Hi, my HP Pavilion desktop has just died. The power led at the back of the PC is on but there is no power when I turn the machine on. I'm overdue for a new machine so am thinking of getting one and adding a "hot swap mobile rack". I might be naive, but I'm thinking that I'll be able to take out my old HDD and add it to the new machine and salvage my old files. I've got a couple of old HDDs so I'm thinking that I might be able to use them as backups for old video/photos.

Is this what a hot swap mobile rack is intended for?

Chronos the 2nd 09:52 AM 08 Feb 13

A simple Hard-drive caddy will be more than enough.Something like this Caddy which will take both Sata drives and the older IDE.

But yes the trayless will do what you want but it is only Sata compatible.

woodchip 15:08 PM 08 Feb 13

The PSU in the Desktop will have failed,If you have a Spare you could try it. Problem when they fail is that they can take out other hardware like Motherboard CPU or hard drives etc, But some just need a new PSU power Supply Fitting

pccake 15:42 PM 12 Feb 13

Thanks guys. I opted for the caddy and it did the trick. I was surprised at how easy it was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…