5.25 floppy drive on XP

GPC 01:08 17 Dec 05

Is it possible to
(a) Use a 5.25 drive with XP
(b) Find a 5.25 inch drive that connects with USB?

DieSse 01:41 17 Dec 05

A) Yes

B) Unlikely - googling shows other people looking but not finding. Problems will probably come with the extra power needed compared with a 3.5" floppy.

You can readily fit an internal drive, however, as long as you have a drive bay. You'll need one of the old style floppy cables, with multiple 5.25 and 3.5 connectors - but you'll then not have any power problems.

Belatucadrus 01:59 17 Dec 05

(a) I have no idea, have you tried asking Microsoft. If you're not using an OEM copy of XP they should answer ?
(b) very unlikely as 5.25" really predates USB drives, you could try fitting a 5.25" drive into a USB chassis, but without drivers it could be a futile exercise.

Why do you want to fit a 5.25" floppy drive into an XP PC ? 3.5" HD floppies are on their last legs and trying to use something as archaic as 5.25 seems a lot of effort for little gain.

GPC 14:10 17 Dec 05

Yes Belatucadrus, you are right about the 5.25 being archgaic but I have several 5.25 discs containing important data and therefore the gain will be worth the effort.
Once I have that data, both the 5.25 discs and drive will be history!
GPC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…