5.1/6.1 DVD player for PC

Mysticnas 12:27 16 Feb 03

Hiya.

I use Leadtek Winfast DVD. In the options i there is a list of audio options. Only SPDIF and 2 Speaker mode is available.
4.1/5.1/6.1 are all greyed out! I don't know why. I use an audigy2 platinum card and have 6.1 speakers connected. So why oh why are these audio option greyed out??

do i have to download a patch from somewhere or buy an extra??? what do i doooo?

I went to the leadtek website and there's nothing there. I even emailed and had no reply! :o(

please help!!!

crx16 12:58 16 Feb 03

click here try enabling sp/dif

Mysticnas 20:12 16 Feb 03

you see it gets really choppy!!!

and sometimes theres no sound... :o(

-pops- 20:28 16 Feb 03

Do you have digital sound enabled in Device Manager?

Brian

goonerbill 20:55 16 Feb 03

you need to enable the 5.1/6.1 in the audigy2 through the surround mixer.

have audigy and thats what i have to do.

Mysticnas 23:36 16 Feb 03

Pop - my speakers 6.1 analogue.

goonerbill - i have them set on 6.1

-pops- 06:39 17 Feb 03

If you are using the analogue sound connections from DVD player to sound card the best you will get is 2 channel stereo sound. To obtain anything more advanced, it is essential to have digital sound enabled in Device Manager. It is irrelevent that your speakers are analogue.

Why not just check to see?

Right click My Computer, click on Manage -> Device Manager -> click on the DVD player and under Properties ensure that the Enable Digital CD Audio is checked.

Brian

Mysticnas 09:05 17 Feb 03

Pops- i have an audigy2 platinum 6.1 sound card. All my speakers are connected to that. I have the internal lead going to digital from my DVD player. and yes it is checked in device manager.

so the question begs... why does winfast DVD not see that i have more than 2 speakers? why is it greying out anything above 2 speakers?

€dstow 09:36 17 Feb 03

You don't need a separate internal cable (digital or analogue) from the DVD device to your sound card. Signal transfer is done via the IDE cable to the motherboard. It may be that if you disconnect the digital audio cable to the sound card it would work?

Do you get 5.1 or 6.1 sound in anything at all, on the test for instance?

€d

Mysticnas 09:41 17 Feb 03

i mean it get full 6.1 sound in test/games/music etc...

i do get sound from all the speakers from DVD too, but i believe it is emulated, as in 2 speakers just split up into 6.1 via the sound card. and not True 6.1 as intended by DVD.

€dstow 10:20 17 Feb 03

Have you tried a DVD that you know is made with surround sound?

How about getting (hiring) a copy of The Matrix or Bladerunner or similar. that is known to have some very odd sounds using all these facilities and see if that works.

It may be that if the DVD isn't surround sound then that is the reason it is greyed out.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017