512mb of ram or new system?

ello everyone....long time since i last posted. Thinking about updating my ageing system (AMD athlonXP 2600+, 512mb DDR333 pc 2700, Radeon 9800pro 128mb. I dont know whether or not to wait for pci-express to come out and just get another 512mb DDR333 ram, or to get a 64bit mobo and CPU and buy 512mb of DDR400 ram. (use 9800pro) Just wondering what your ideas are....wait and get updated with pci-express or upgrade now?

Danny

PS. Would it be better to buy 1 gig of DDR400 ram now and then i can use that when i do upgrade.....or will we be on DDR2 then?

cga 13:02 29 Aug 04

How busy is your current memory and processor?

Where are your current bottlenecks?

Really so much depends on your individual workload that it is difficult to advise without some idea what you are doing with it.

Totally-braindead 13:14 29 Aug 04

I wouldn't exactly describe what you have as an ageing system, theres a lot of people on the Forum that would consider this top of the line kit. Why do you need to upgrade just now? Is there something your PC won't do that makes you want to upgrade?

cga 13:21 29 Aug 04

Funny, I was going to say the same thing but then something gave me the idea that this may be a gamers machine and that is not my field.

[dtcs] [email protected] ?

yea cga it is a gaming machine.....after playing farcry it seems a little dated and especially in Doom 3 and cs source. I cant afford to buy the best system so i was wondering what will give me the best increase in performance and what will be better in the long term...ie waiting for pci express.

cga 13:56 29 Aug 04

OK - with games I cant estimate what your bottleneck will be but the same principals apply. Monitor the load on your processor and memory to get some clues as what is most needed

ok thanks matey..ill do that now

yellows 23:50 29 Aug 04

Well i have an amd xp 3000+ with a geoforce ultra 9590 card and far cry and doom run ok but not at high resolutions. These games are so demanding that it seems they are geared for 64 bit computing. I would wait however as new technology has its problems.

User-312386 00:23 30 Aug 04

wait

dont do anything yet

noting is 64bit compliant yet so wait till the prices timble

thanks for the advise.....i might get another stick of ram as i want to play HL2 well (ive been waiting for it the last 2 years!) but apart from that i think ill take your advise and wait till programs really take advantage of the 64bit stuff.

Thanks for all the responses

Danny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…