512mb being shown as 256mb

dean_e_boy 15:33 05 May 03

I have a Packard Bell PC, with a pentium 3 550mhz processor. I have recently purchased a 512mb stick of SDRAM running at pc100. When I check the amount of system memory shown it states 256mb. I have tried various settings within the bios to resolve this problem, but it will always state 256mb.
The bios is AMIBIOS version 1.16, 1998 Megatrands INC.

Can anyone help?

if its a single dimm it sounds like you got ripped off check the serial number on the net.

hugh-265156 15:50 05 May 03

or if you have onboard graphics it may be set to use 256mb of system memory doubtful though but in the bios check under advanced chipset or similar for shared chipset memory and see what set at.

@lchemist 16:03 05 May 03

I had a similar problem with a stick of 256mb, that was recognised as 128mb. The simple solution was that my motherboard did not support this amount of memory in one stick. I would advise you to contact Packard Bell and ask them to check whether this is the case with your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…