512 RAM Versus 1GB

Taw® 19:20 11 Nov 05

Runing XP pro AMD 1.4 with 512 RAM have a gforce card with 32MB and office 2003. Use the computer for usual office work, word,excel powerpoint etc, internet little bit of home photo editing and the odd game (not too often) I also like to use the Google world map. Would I notice any difference in adding an extra 512 of RAM?

MidgetMan 19:55 11 Nov 05

Yep, games can be ram intensive, so can photo editing, more ram will allow you to multi-task better but you need to make sure that the mobo can recognize that amount, also do you have a free slot? or will you need to dump some to increase the amount in which case not really cost effective.

To be honest you would probably notice more difference ( mostly in games) if you upgraded the graphics card.

Taw® 12:41 12 Nov 05

Cheers MidgetMan, my mobo is an FIC AZ11E(A)and I have a spare slot, unsure how to determine if it will recognise 1GB, though I have had 768 in it before. My gaming is really minimal so it really is whether it would make a difference to the day to day operrations such as office and browsing etc.

MidgetMan 12:33 13 Nov 05

Assuming this is your board click here then you can upto 1.5gb ram, however form your comments about what you use it for then no, more ram will not really make a differance unless you like to LOTS of apps open at the same time!.

keith-236785 13:50 13 Nov 05

i am running XP Pro with 768mb of ram, seems to be all i need, even for video editing needs. 512 just didnt have enough and stalled on me quite a lot while
creating dvd's in Ulead DVD movie factory...used to get to 80% and fall over with a message about "unable to re-use the memory at ******" so i added a 256mb stick and since that i havent had the error message.

Taw® 20:21 14 Nov 05

Many thanks for that, given me pause for thought

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…