5.1 In Windows but not in any players...

splatter 18:10 14 Dec 09

I have a set of 5.1 speakers hooked up to my onboard sound. All was working fine but the other day I noticed that I had no sound from the rear speakers.

All the settings in Windows/RealtekHD are as they were, and the test works fine and there is sound coming from all speakers. However when I play music in iTunes/WMP/VLC/Winamp/Games there is no sound from said rear speakers.

I did have problems when I first got the speakers (withi iTunes, my player of choice) and the solution was to launch Quicktime and make sure 5.1 was enabled there and that those setting matched the windows settings.

As mentioned no setting have changed but I don't know when the rear speakers stopped working, I just noticed it the other day.

Thanks for any help,
Jay

eedcam 19:22 14 Dec 09

With the exception of Games why would there be sound from the rear speakers the music is only in Stereo unless you had it set to play 6 channel stereo or something. That is not really 5:1sound
Are you sure you have selected 6 channel in your speaker configuration

splatter 13:27 16 Dec 09

I've checked, re-checked and re-re-checked my settings and NOTHING has changed from what they were.

I also dont have 5.1 playback when playing a proper 5.1 source (i.e. DVD).

Anyone have any insights on this??

BRYNIT 13:40 16 Dec 09

The problem I found with 5.1 speakers is that you do not get sound from the rear speakers all the time it's usually from the front speakers.

If you are playing a DVD you will need to listen to the whole DVD film. If after listening you find you still do not get sound from the rear speakers I would say it could be the program you are using as you have stated the test shows all speakers are working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…