5.1 surround works in Control Panel but not in games

Adam Patrick 15:58 PM 15 Aug 11

Hi

I have Creative Inspire T6100 5.1 Speakers

and

Creative Labs SB X-FI Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

When I test speakers in Control Panel / Sound tab each speaker makes the noise to show it is working, but when I play games, only the front 2 work. These are fairly modern games like Elder Scrolls:Oblivion and X3 Reunion so would have thought they would be encoded with 5.1 surround sound.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thanks

northumbria61 16:23 PM 15 Aug 11

You should check your settings via Control Panel - Sound - click on your speakers (White tick on green circle) then - Configure - make sure 5.1 is selected then click next to set up your speakers.

northumbria61 16:27 PM 15 Aug 11

Also play about with the settings - try changing to Quadrophonic - may not be perfect - but may just work.

Woolwell 16:31 PM 15 Aug 11

Is there a setting within the games' options?

Adam Patrick 18:15 PM 15 Aug 11

Thanks for the replies

Yes I made sure to go into configure and 5.1 is selected

I've also played a bit with settings like Quad and 7.1 with no improvement unfortunately.

Enabling "X-Fi CMSS-3D" in Soundblaster tab / Settings makes the rear speakers work but no Sub-Woofer or Centre, but an improvement over just the front 2.

Adam Patrick 18:57 PM 15 Aug 11

Correction

My mistake - seems now that I've enabled X-Fi CMSS-3D, all speakers are now working.

The description of X-Fi CMSS-3D is that it can turn a stereo sound into a surround sound. It might be synthetically done, so maybe not true 5.1 surround, but it does sound good, and works in Windows Media Player aswell !

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED