5.1 surround sound test,

wolfie3000 07:27 05 May 09

Every 2 months or so i run checks on my pc to make sure its all working at its optimum performance and was wondering if theres a sound file that i can get that will test my speakers full range?

I find it hard to calibrate my speakers so im getting the best from them.

the test file must be at least 5.1 surround sound at the highest quality.

Stuartli 10:13 05 May 09

I have a Realtek on-board sound chipset - Realtek's Sound Effects Manager includes features to test individual speakers and also a combination of the speakers check.

Perhaps your sound card or on-board sound chipset drivers/software provide a similar feature?

Marko797 10:23 05 May 09

there should be a speaker test facility as part of the program which operates your sound. For example, my sound system is Creative Labs 7.1 ZS something or other, and somewhere within the Creative folder is a test/diagnostics facility. You can adjust for whatever set-up you have, stereo, 5.1, or 7.1. I remember I used this when I first got the pc and was setting up, and recall that it 'speaks' to you - "front right, front left, front central", etc. Within this there is a calibration process for the speaker sound adjustment.

Stuartli 10:48 05 May 09

That is precisely what I suggested..:-)

Marko797 10:51 05 May 09

lol, yes so it is. Oh well, Wolfie might get the message then?

wolfie3000 00:05 06 May 09

well i have a speaker test program within the sound program i have which test the volume of each speaker.

But what im after is a sound file that will give various sounds so i can tune the bass treble ect...

eedcam 05:44 06 May 09

Usually with surround the object is that using the test tone all spkrs+sub should be set to sound the same level better still use a sound meter actual base and treble is personal taste and to suit the room acoustics .

Stuartli 10:01 06 May 09

My understanding of surround sound systems is that the rear speakers should be a "fill-in" for the main frontal speakers i.e. the reverberation is similar to that of a concert hall.

eedcam 12:50 06 May 09

Stuart its a lot more than that well proper surround ie cinema/dvd is .Even dolby prologic 2 will process stereo to 5:1 with discrete channels to each.

Marko797 12:53 06 May 09

this is getting far too technical for, what I suspect is, just game playing. Just crank it up Wolfie.

Stuartli 14:30 06 May 09

I was looking at it from a hi-fi enthusiast's definition of surround sound i.e. seeking to reproduce music as near and as accurately as possible to real life.

Just as a point of interest, I bought an Elite P6BXT+A motherboard in 1998 (the first to feature both Slot1 and Socket 370 CPU capabilities).

The on-board sound chipset was a C-Media 8738 that, from just two stereo channels, had the means to create quite remarkably good "surround" sound if required.

There was a test demo featuring a helicopter flying around and which you could control - as the aircraft "disappeared" behind you, the sound adjusted appropriately to compensate.

This C-Media chipset delivered very clean and transparent sound; eventually the younger offspring gave me a Creative SoundBlaster Live! sound card and I used that instead.

However, I realised that the Creative card wasn't all that much superior (somewhat better bass) so, when a PCI slot was required I dumped the SoundBlaster Live!

I did find out eventually that C-Media sound chipsets were being used by some sound card manufacturers, such as Hercules with its Fortissimo 7.1 card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5