5.1 Surround sound Problem?

Tenacious Green 18:38 22 Sep 04

I have Creative Inspire P580 Speakers running through my PC and all seem to be set up correctly however I have very little noise going through the center speaker. If this is a 5.1 set up it should have the speech going through this speaker but it does not. It all goes through the front speakers. The woofer and rear effect speakers seem to be working OK. There is no problem with the speaker itself,I have checked.
I'm running with a Soundmax integrated Digital Audio 5.1. When I conducted a test on this and channel soley through the centre speaker I get a very quiet noise. I have tried all the volume setting to no avail and double checked all connections as per manufacturers instructions. Also when I use Windvd and set this up to 5.1 I get no speech at all as it should go through center speater. All other sounds seem correct. Any Ideas or similar problems would be gratefully received.

johnnyrocker 18:45 22 Sep 04

i feel it has to be a connection problem, what os and sound card?

johnny.

Tenacious Green 18:49 22 Sep 04

XP Home and Integrated Soundmax Digital Audio.

dfghjkl 20:38 22 Sep 04

i use powerdvd 5 on that you need to allow dolby pro logic 2 to allow this function

Tenacious Green 21:01 22 Sep 04

Sorry dfg, but I'm not with you on that one. Somewhat new home user and although fairly coherent with Home Cinema in general I cannot understand why I don't get proper 5.1 when playing a 5.1 film on DVD. I get no Centre Speaker at any time.

johnnyrocker 23:37 22 Sep 04

have you checked dvd settings?

johnny.

hugh-265156 23:57 22 Sep 04

pro logic and pro logic 2 are a way to enable the centre and rear channels when playing stereo content only. this is not true 5.1, the extra channels are extracted from the left and right stereo channels and is a very poor relation to true DD5.1 (the rear channels will be mono)

what dvd software do you have? the very best you can get is powerdvd click here for free trial. in the settings/ play a dvd with this and right click on the screen and select 'configuration/audio' and select '6 speaker'

if playing a stereo source select 'audio channel expander' or 'pro logic'

ps. you will need either one coxial cable from your sound card to the speakers or 3x 3mm jack to 2xphonos leads (one for left right, one for rears and one for centre sub) to enable proper 5.1 with any software you use.

Tenacious Green 10:16 23 Sep 04

Thanks for the replies. I have Windvd as my dvd player. I already have my speakers connected to sound card as descibed by huggy and am playing true 5.1 media, so therefore shouldn't need Pro-Logic to create a surround sound. All DVD settings appear correct, but still no Centre speaker sound although the others including subwoofer working correctly. I have configured Windvd to 5.1 and still no joy.

johnnyrocker 10:46 23 Sep 04

have you tried the speaker by substitution( sorry if a dumb question )

johnny.

Tenacious Green 11:03 23 Sep 04

Yeah, Tried switching them over. I'm starting to wonder whether the sound card I have is actually 4.1(if possible) as the sub and centre are running over the same connection and whilst the sub is fine the centre is very,very quiet. I can't seem to find out for sure. I can't get in the soundmax website for some strange reason?

Dorsai 11:05 23 Sep 04

When i first installed my sound card, and a 4.1 speaker system, it did not work right either.

if you have XP

in control panel, select 'sound and audio devices' and make sure you have the volume tab selected. Click the 'advanced' button. there is a drop down menu at the bottom of the 'speaker' tab, headed 'speaker setup'.

Make sure that you have '5.1 surround sound speakers' selected.

My system defaulted to 'laptop mono speaker' which obviously did not work well with a 4.1 setup.

but then i am sure that you have already done this, it's just then no one else has mentioned it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…