5.1 surround sound issue

Tom123 00:41 23 Aug 06

Hi, I have a Asus A7n8x-Deluxe MB and it has 5.1 surround set up on it with the latest Nvidia drivers off the Nvidia website.
When I set up the drivers, I went through all the test and heard all 6 seperate sounds out of each speaker (inc sub) but when it played the demo music or even my own music in WMP10, it doesnt like coming out of the central speaker.
Is there a setting I missed, I am playing MP3's so is it the way their encoded so they dont play through all speakers? I thought it would even if it wasnt encoded in 5.1 format like DVD's, maybe just duplicate the sound and play it through the central speaker? Are there any other tests I can do? Please help me....thank you!!

€dstowe 06:41 23 Aug 06

You will only get the full 5.1 sound effect when you use a 5.1 encoded sound source. To test the effect, obtain a copy of a science fiction DVD (The Matrix or similar) in which full use is made of the capabilities of surround sound. Note that as this is for testing purposes, it doesn't really matter whether the film is to your taste or not. You need it to demonstrate the full effect of 5.1 sound and these films certainly do that!!

MP3 files are normally in two channel stereo (left & right) so you will only get the front L & R speakers working, although some speaker systems are capable of offering an emphasised bass response through the subwoofer.

Tom123 10:03 23 Aug 06

Is there no way in which I can replicate the sound just so I can have it coming out of all my speakers and not jsut the 2 front and back? Or is there a way in which I can change my MP3 to be somewhat "surround sound" and have it out the central speaker?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now