5.1 surround connection

mazyman 14:44 29 May 04

I have bought a set of Creative 5.1 surround speakers but I don't have a dedicated sound card, I use the onboard sound with my Asus A7V333 Motherboard. Does anyone out there know if I can connect these speakers to this particular mobo and if so how? Or do I need to buy a dedicated sound card?

thanks mazyman

MartinT-B 15:13 29 May 04

the tech specs click here say that it can support six channel sound with no need for anotehr soundcard.

It depends which one you bought.

check your manual or DL it from the link above

Totally-braindead 16:00 29 May 04

My Gigabyte board came with a panel you can add to the back for more speakers as in if you want to use surround sound. Some boards have these facilities but don't come with the required bits. I'd have a look on the Asus website, see who the supply to and see if you can get the required part. If I can find it myself I'll post back

Totally-braindead 16:05 29 May 04

Tried to download the manual but the site won't let me at the moment. Some boards let you use the mic and audio in jacks as speaker connectors all you have to do is enable the surround sound using the driver disk, have a look at your manual.

mazyman 22:53 01 Jun 04

Thanks for your suggestions, I have bought a sound blaster sound card and I think I have connected everything up correctly however I still cannot get any response from the speakers. There seems to be power to them but there is no switch/button or L.E.D to indicate that they are on. There is nothing in the Bios settings that jumps out at me for audio settings so I am stuck
Any more help would be appreciated

Thanks mazy

MartinT-B 12:04 02 Jun 04

I would bet money that the BIOS has a setting to use the on-board sound as default (My Asus MoBo certainly does).

You'll need to look at your manual to see what you need to change since you added a sound card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…