5.1 speakers stopped working properly

3rdday 22:32 15 Mar 03

Playing a music file today, I realised that I was only getting sound out of two of my Creative 5.1 speakers, left rear and right rear. Om investigation, I found that the audio settings had become set to "Desktop stereo speakers". I've reset this to "5.1 surround sound speakers" and rebooted (just to be sure). It's still set to this, but I still only get sound from the two rear speakers and a bit from the subwoofer, whatever I try. I've checked all the cabling to make sure nothing had come loose. Everything has always been fine until now. Any ideas how I get my 6-speaker sound back? I have a Creative Audigy card and Creative speakers.

crx16 22:52 15 Mar 03

try the speaker test. control panel\audioHQ\speaker\speaker test, you may also have to set the 5.1 here as well

3rdday 22:59 15 Mar 03

I've done the speaker test, with 5.1 set, and still only get sound from the two rear speakers

crx16 23:07 15 Mar 03

click here for some ideas.

Djohn 23:24 15 Mar 03

When you do a speaker test, does the sound come out of each speaker in turn, as it should do.

If so then your speaker set-up is correct, you will only get music from the left and right Chanel's plus sub. this is because most music is recorded in stereo.

The centre and rear speakers come into play when you are watching a movie or playing a game that has been recorded in 5 chanel sound.

If you wish to hear stereo music through all 5 speakers, you can! To do this you go into the software set-up of your sound card and choose "Pseudo surround". J.

Mr Crispy 00:05 16 Mar 03

It could be a fault on the fader on the volume control, I have seen this fail twice but for no reason(although I suspected spilt liquid was to blame on one)

Bagsey 08:29 16 Mar 03

Did it work ok when you first got this kit. ie default settings. If so go to Start, programs,creative,sound blaster, creative restore default.

3rdday 00:11 17 Mar 03

Sorted. Fiddled with the volume control and its connection to the subwoofer box and all speakers now work. Must be a dodgy connection somewhere, but its working fine at the moment.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…