5.1 speakers and sound cards

jospar 18:43 25 Aug 03

I'm looking to get 5.1 speakers, I am looking in the £40 - £60 price range. At the moment I'm using the on-board sound card on my Asus P4B266 c-media, so this restricts my connection to line in/out and mic. But I have also S/PDIF on PCI card.

Any suggestions/advice

Also how can I tell if ordering over the net, if connection will match what I've got, quaility of sound ect.

mark500 18:51 25 Aug 03

Get a dedicated 5.1 soundcard for starters. As for speakers I use Yamaha TSS-1's. Bloody Awesome sound.

Demora 19:07 25 Aug 03

You could also go to Creatives website and look for support, download the user manual for 5.1 speakers 5300 (these are about £50 if troll the net. BUT having the manual would show you the connections you need.

I have the SB 5.1 speakers mentioned and also the Audgy 1 sound card. BUT I had to download another piece of software to go with em. Good though

Demora

obbit 19:36 25 Aug 03

i have the same as Demora. got em working straight away no problems. good sound and remote volume control. if you get 5.1 speakers do them justice with a good sound card. either sound blaster audigy or extigy, which has pc front panel controls and remote control.

jospar 21:22 25 Aug 03

Looking good for the creatives,

The main use is for music while I work. Power/out put isn't really high on the list due to being my office/computer romm is only 3x 2 metres, so it won't take a lot of out put to be loud!

I had hoped to get the speakers first, then think about up-grading my sound card.

Webmaster 22:11 25 Aug 03

There's nothing wrong with the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Digital - it works a dream with my Creative Labs 5.1 5300 Speakers. With the 5300 speakers, you are in for the most riveting Dolby 5.1 home theater experience at an unbelievable price.

Ironman556 23:07 25 Aug 03

Got onboard 5.1 sound (on Asus A7N8X) and Logitech Z640 speakers. Great sound for Cd's, games, DVD's the lot (and in my opinion lok better than the Creative's). £69.00. click here

jospar 20:02 26 Aug 03

Checked the creative home site, and downloaded the manual. Not very clear but it seems that it is a three line input.

Still pondering weather to get both, creative home site, did a nice little deal with soundblaster card and SB5100 speakers for £80 all toll. But are the 5100 as good as 5300?

obbit 20:26 26 Aug 03

i have no experience of the 5100 speakers but you only get what you pay for, so i would go for 5300 if i were you.

jospar 21:32 26 Aug 03

I know!

It's not like buying a stack system where you can go into the shop and listen to different set-ups, and then decide.

The ones that I really like, the creative masterworks (I think) are near £300, and even with my birthday just over a week away, there is no way I'm going to convince hubby to part with that sort of money for my speakers.

Thats one of the reasons why I really wanted to sort the speakers first, and then work on the sound card after.

You've got to trend wisely,

powerless 21:42 26 Aug 03

Are you after a soundcard as well?

Here are my matches, they make a lovely couple...

There'll be cheaper prices out there...

Sound Blaster® Audigy? Player - 5.1 Sound click here makes good sound with Creative® Inspire? 5.1 5100 click here

This is my setup = click here with these speakers Creative® Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 click here

You could go all the way - Sound Blaster® Audigy? 2 with 6.1 sound Creative® Inspire? 6.1 6700 click here

I also believe Creative have a 7.1 sound card, just depends on how you value sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…