5.1 soundcard only works in stereo

FitFrank 23:07 07 Dec 04

I have recently attempted to upgrade the sound on my AMD athlon XP2600+,1GB ram,128 Graphics. it originally had on board sound. I have disabled the on board sound in the bios and installed firstly a cheapy (computer market!)5.1 card and then a creative labs card, along with the appropriate drivers. The speakers are Tevion 5.1 (Aldis best).

The problem is that I can only get the subwoofer and front left & right speakers working, The subwoofer has a pushbutton switch for 5.1 and stereo when I select stereo it mutes and in 5.1 mode it appears to work only in stereo. I have checked and double checked all leads and connections and swopped leads around, all speakers will work if plugged into front output, the centre and rear outputs do not work this is the same with both souncards. where have I gone wrong?

Carpigiani 23:15 07 Dec 04

Have a look in Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices. Audio tab. under sound playback click on Advanced under the Speakers tab there should be a drop down munue make sure it is set to 5:1 surround sound speakers.

PSF 23:19 07 Dec 04

First you need to run the diagnostics in the creative menu, this will check the set-up and test the speakers in turn.

When you do the test it asks what speakers you have. You may find the system is set-up for desk top stereo speakers. There will be a drop down menu from which you choose 5.1. then you can test the speakers.

FitFrank 00:22 08 Dec 04

Thanks folks had already set the config for 5.1 in the drop down. Had'nt tried the creative diagnostics though. Just had a run through it now. Havegot all but the centre speaker working so getting there. Thanks again for the help.

Carpigiani 16:21 08 Dec 04

Hi FitFrank

On one of our systems for some strange reason we have to set the Creative drop down menu to 6:1 for our centre speaker to work. Don't know why but it works for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…