5,1 SOUND FROM MEDIA CENTRE LIVE TV?

rotormota 16:43 22 Dec 08

Hi,

I have WinXP MCE but find that in Media Centre mode I can get full 5.1 when playing MP3s, WMAs, video files etc but selecting Live TV simply gives a rather tinny sound through just two of the speakers (nothing through the woofer at all).

Any ideas?

Cheers,
J

Technotiger 17:27 22 Dec 08

I am no expert on TV Sound, but I would guess that the reason the TV Sound is not so good, is because probably the best Live TV can push out is Stereo - and possibly only Mono, depending on the TV Source.

Stuartli 19:43 22 Dec 08

British television's FM and UHF mono and stereo television sound quality, improved even further from 1990 with the introduction of the BBC developed Nicam technology, has always been of a very high standard.

However, it was not until the launch of Nicam that television sets began to feature the quality amplification and speaker systems required to enable it to be truly enjoyed to the full.

The BBC and ITV have been experimenting and using Dolby Surround Sound for some TV programme transmissions for many years; ITV usually states at the start of a Dolby SS programme that this is a feature of the transmission.

Technotiger 20:11 22 Dec 08

Thanks for the info - TV Dolby is still a bit thin on the ground at the moment I suspect.

Stuartli 23:28 22 Dec 08

Stars in their Eyes, for example, was a regular source for Dolby Sound.

I recall watching BBC coverage of a Wentworth golf match some years ago and listening to the sound of a helicopter flying across the rear of where we were watching the TV (in my best mate's retail audio/video/appliances outlet)...:-)

It was. of course. a broadcast used by the BBC to test Dolby surround sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…