500GB Ext HDD & some questions about it

Killo Bite 14:13 11 Jan 08

Hello all,

Thinking of getting a External HDD, a 500GB Freecom HDD Pro which is USB & SATA connection. From click here with quick code No. 26210

A Couple of questions. In the description is says SATA, with is been SATA how would this connect to a machine ?

the software with this is called Acronis True Image. Can you actually take a fully installed windows of a machines HDD and transfer it to a new HDD if need be (I understand about the MS legislation, long its on the same machine etc)

finally if a SATA HDD was Faulty or was unable to boot into windows, like with IDE you can slave a HDD and access windows like one big folder, then could you do this with one of these Freecom drives to do a recovery.

Thanks for any help offered.

Technotiger 14:16 11 Jan 08

Acronis - Yes you can, to a new hard drive on the same machine.

Technotiger 14:18 11 Jan 08

PS - not just the Windows, but absolutely everything on the drive - all programs, personal settings, the lot.

Technotiger 14:21 11 Jan 08

I have a Seagate Barracuda 320Gb External drive (SATA) it connects in the normal way via USB.

And I use Acronis TI11.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 11 Jan 08

In the description is says SATA, with is been SATA how would this connect to a machine ?

Some machines come with an external SATA connection

Can you actually take a fully installed windows of a machines HDD and transfer it to a new HDD if need be

Yes A complete copy of the drive. This is the best way to back up your PC incase of harddrive failures.

if a SATA HDD was Faulty or was unable to boot into windows, like with IDE you can slave a HDD and access windows like one big folder, then could you do this with one of these Freecom drives to do a recovery.

With ATI 11 you make a rescue CD and then an image of your drive to the external drive.
Just boot the PC with the rescue CD and follow the prompts to put the image onto a new drive or your old reformatedd drive.

Killo Bite 14:42 11 Jan 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\, when you say some machines come with Ext SATA, do you mean like a SATA Port on rear of Motherboard a bit like their use to be a Com Port or Parrellel etc, they connect like through that ?

Killo Bite 14:49 11 Jan 08

Cos I don't have Ext SATA Port, take it you carn't plug into Motherboard so USB only is my option.

So if only using it as a USB Drive then do I have to use the supplied Software, couldn't I just drag n' drop or Send to Ext HDD ?

Technotiger 15:06 11 Jan 08

Drag & Drop - not if you are talking about Backups, the Software, Acronis or similar is essential.

keef66 15:28 11 Jan 08

Yes, exactly like that. They are usually referred to as e-SATA ports. Becoming quite common now.

Killo Bite 15:42 11 Jan 08

Will get the one with USB & SATA option 500GB Freecom.

thanks again until next time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…