Is 5 port switch what I need?

Pererin 12:33 06 Jun 08

Hi Gang, I have two computers in different rooms, connected through a Neatgear router,and all work fine, they are both wired. My question is that when my son needs to connect his laptop and he is in the room that has'nt got the router in it can I use a splitting device to share the cable in that room between the two machines. I have looked at some like the Belkin 10/100 5-Port Network Switch, but to be honest I don't know the difference with all these things. Can't use wirless as the speed is at a crawl in that room, hope I have explained things ok and thanks for any help.

ambra4 12:43 06 Jun 08

YES

Just connect a switch to cable from the router and connect laptop to the switch

Pererin 14:06 06 Jun 08

Thanks ambra4, so the rj45 cable just plugs in to the switch and then I can feed the two machines out from there, if I understand you. Does that mean it shares out just like a usb hub, or have I got it wrong again!

ambra4 18:11 06 Jun 08

Yes that is correct

Network switches contains more "intelligence" than a hub.

Unlike hubs, network switches are capable of inspecting data packets as they are

received, determining the source and destination device of that packet, and forwarding it

appropriately.

By delivering each message only to the connected device it was intended for, a network

switch conserves network bandwidth and offers generally better performance than a hub.

Most consumer-grade network switches provide either 4 / 8 / 16 / 24 / 32 / 40 / 48

connections for Ethernet devices.

Switches can be connected to each other; such "daisy chaining" allows progressively

larger number of devices to share the same network

Pererin 18:35 06 Jun 08

Thanks ambra4, you have explained it in simple terms (for a dummy like me) and helped me to pick the correct device. Once again thanks a lot!

ambra4 19:04 06 Jun 08

Always glad to help

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…