4x - 8x agp difference ?

brian990 10:31 10 Sep 03

Is there a noticeable difference upgrading your pc system from 4x agp video to 8x or is this only usefull for intensive graphics.
Plus is it worth the bother having to upgrade bios to do this.

Considering upgrading video card any info from users appreciated.

Jester2K II 10:33 10 Sep 03

The difference between 8X and 4X AGP is marginal. You will only notice 0.1-2% difference from 4X to 8X. If you going to play Dx9 games, 8X AGP is best. Otherwise, DX8 and lower, 4X AGP, good enough.

Jester2K II 10:35 10 Sep 03

BTW i lifted that from another forum - not my words but seemed to be the general gist of what i found when i looked for the same answer 2 weeks ago.

cnl 11:03 10 Sep 03

That sounds about right. The only cards with 4x and 8x versions are really the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 and MX models. The MX models arent really worth bothering with if you're interest in AGP 8x performance, as they're based on Geforce 2 chipsets. In the Ti 4200 case, the 128MB models were actually bettered, with the memory speeds increased from 444MHz to 512Mhz and bandwidth increased from 7.1 to 8.0 or 8.2 Gb/s. This does make a marginal performance increase, but the 8x AGP does nothing for it. It shouldn't even be a factor in deciding on a graphics card, as it makes absolutely no difference, even in intensive graphics, such as dx9 games.

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…