4gig of RAM

alansabout 13:21 30 Aug 07

Hi all. I have begun to notice that there are quite a few desktop system's on the market now running 4gig of RAM with a high spec graphics card. click here for one surely unless these are 64bit systems they will become unstable I know mine did with a similar setup I was forced to drop down to 2gig because of the overall systen RAM. 4gig + 768 on graphics card. Was I wrong?

ventanas 14:08 30 Aug 07

No problems with my Dell system. Vista Home Premium 32bit and 4Gb ram.

hssutton 14:44 30 Aug 07

No problems with my home build, Vista Ultimate

Pine Man 15:38 30 Aug 07

..of the replies to alansabouts thread.

I am not suggesting for a minute that what ventanas and hssutton are saying is not true and that they may well be running a 32bit system which has 4GB of RAM. BUT -

Technically it is physically impossible to do this as 4GB is the maximum amount of RAM that any 32bit system can recognise and this includes not only the installed RAM but also the RAM on graphics cards etc.

There are ways round this and one of them is to force the PAE but this only reduces the efficiency of the RAM. Some systems will appear to accept 4GB of RAM but this only appears in the BIOS and not in the operating system, which will usually show 3 or 3.5GB RAM.

The purpose of this post is not to attempt to discredit either ventanas or hssutton but to make sure that, having read their threads, readers don't rush out and purchase lots of RAM only to be very disappointed.

4 gb on vista ultimate here no probs, no massive improvement on 2 gig. for 32 bit xp 2 x 1gig seems to work best for me.

DrScott 19:44 30 Aug 07

but is slightly pointless on 32bit systems. They can only address 3.8GB (I think... or a little bit less.. I can't exactly remember the number after the decimal point).

Systems will work fine, but you won't be getting any benefit from the extra RAM.

hssutton 20:06 30 Aug 07

2Gb ram, Running Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom pc was very sluggish, on increasing ram to 4Gb my pc is lightening fast.

skidzy 20:13 30 Aug 07
  hssutton 20:15 30 Aug 07

Just been reading this click here. Unfortunately it's a little to technical for me, but does the fact that I'm using an Athlon AM2 dual processor make a difference

kills a lot of game lag in vista, it shows 3.5 gig ram and 1.4 gig video mem, which is roughly what i have. search nvidia forums and games forums and most people gaming on vista have accepted 2 gig min 4 gig better. i believe a little remapping or bios changes is needed with older motherboards.
mine plugged straight in and did make a difference.

captivetrill 23:03 30 Aug 07

I have 4Gb on my vista machine, I know you can only use just over 3Gb, but I keep the 4Gb in to keep the dual channel memory running, as it doesn't with just 3Gb, so I believe. I have no probs with vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…