+++ 4gb SDHC memory card problem +++

pcdimwit 16:07 19 Feb 11

Not sure if I am submitting this in the right forum?? I have tried to put a 4gb Agfaphoto SD HC card into my Samsung L80 camera and it wont accept it, when trying to format the card on the menu the camera comes up with a message saying "check SD card" however the laptop recognizes the CD card and it also works in a Kodak playsport movie camera no problem, can anyone think what is wrong here?? the Samsung camera works fine with my usual 2gb SD cards, I would imagine a 4gb card is not a problem for the camera as the manual says that SD/MMC cards up to 1gb are guaranteed (but I am using a 2gb card normally with no problem) - any idea's?? thanks PCDIMWIT

awest3 16:14 19 Feb 11

does your L80 accept SDHC cards...not all older cameras do. you may be limited to 2gb SD cards...

awest3 16:16 19 Feb 11

found this on a website selling your camera

'Your Samsung Digimax L80 accepts SD Card cards.The largest SD Card card you can use in your Samsung Digimax L80 is 2GB'

No mention of the ability to use the later SDHC cards

pcdimwit 16:42 19 Feb 11

Hi, thanks for that, I wondered if it was the age of the camera, because of the manual saying that Sasumg guarantee up to a 1gb card, I dont know what the difference between SD and SDHC is so I also thought this newer format HC might not be compatible, but it works with my newer Panasonic Lumix camera, thanks PCDIMWIT

awest3 16:52 19 Feb 11

The HD bit just stands for High Capacity..to complicate things further they also come in different classes...with the class differences being the speed at which the card operates and transfers data...

I think they are up to class 10 at the moment. Which means that you can buy class 2-6 cards more cheaply then class 10 cards...

Which is something to think about when you see cheaper SDHC cards for sale, which have the same storage value but are slower than the more expensive cards..

pcdimwit 16:54 19 Feb 11

Hi, thanks for that, I wondered if it was the age of the camera, because of the manual saying that Sasumg guarantee up to a 1gb card, I dont know what the difference between SD and SDHC is so I also thought this newer format HC might not be compatible, but it works with my newer Panasonic Lumix camera, thanks PCDIMWIT

pcdimwit 16:56 19 Feb 11

seems very complicated, it is an Agfaphoto card so I guess its a good branded one, its only really for normal photos, but just wondered why it wouldnt accept in the Samsung camera, which is a fantastic camera but I know its not a very modern one now by modern standards. thanks PCDIMWIT

pcdimwit 09:39 10 Mar 11

Yes, youre right, my Samsung L80 camera is only up to 2gb cards and I have just tried some of these Agfa 4gb cards in my "better" Panasonic Lumix DMCTZ5 and that can take up to 16gb cards and the 4gb ones work fine. Thanks PCDIMWIT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos