4GB RAM only showing 2.4 on XP

beebender 17:43 17 Oct 07

This week I asked to upgrade from 2GB RAM to 4 GB RAM on my Windows XP desktop.

When it was returned Dxdiag only showed 2.4 GB RAM which my engineer says is normal because Windows XP is only 32 bit.

As my machine was under warranty a new Asus 5B delux wifi was fitted because the old one was faulty.

Now, my machine will not play any games saying there are dx config problems and I cannot access any secure sites i.e banking, shopping etc without a warning coming up saying the sites security cert has expired.

Can anybody make any sense of this - help!!

bremner 17:58 17 Oct 07

Take a look at this from the MSKB click here;en-us;888137

bremner 18:00 17 Oct 07
  Bagsey 18:15 17 Oct 07

<This is more of a Helproom problem than a Speakers' Corner thread >??????? I thought this was the Helproom.

SANTOS7 18:20 17 Oct 07

Probably moved by the FE Bagsey,

There are issues wwith 32 bit systems and 4gigs of memory, and i really do not know why anybody would need that much, if it where mine i would take out one of the sticks, keep it for a spare...

best config i can find with xp is 1gb slot1 and 1gb slot3, vista needs more but for xp this works best for me.

Totally-braindead 19:58 17 Oct 07

Not being funny here beebender but I'd like to know why your engineer says that this is normal as it doesn't sound normal to me at all.
In a 32 bit system there is a problem with 4 gig of memory thats true but what would happen is the computer would only see 3 gig not 2.4 gig. I can't see where 2.4 could come from unless either some of the memory is faulty or the chips only add up to 2.4 gig.
The board is meant to support up to 8 gig but of course you could only use that much if you had a 64 bit operating system which you don't have.

beebender 08:22 18 Oct 07

Thank you all for your comments particularly the one from Totally-braindead.

I don't know what has happened but my daughter found the date settings on the desktop were set to 2002 which is why the secure sites were flashing me a date about the security certs.

This is now resolved but I cannot load any computer games on at all and I now need to know whether Windows XP will support 4GB of RAM which seems from your comments very doubtful.

I paid £100 to have 2 sticks of 2GB of additional RAM not only does this not show but I can't even load the most basic game.

The engineer is due back today and I will let him read all your responses.

The reason for 4GB RAM is that I have a 32 track recording studio and I will be swapping over to computerised programs if ever I can get the computer working properly.

Once again thanks to you all, any further comments appreciated.

Totally-braindead 14:57 18 Oct 07

I would take out both of the new sticks and see what happens, then add one and see what that does and finally add the 4th one.
It is my understanding that Windows 32 bit cannot see 4 gig so it should display it as 3 gig. Now what I am unsure about is, will having 4 gig on the PC make things faster even though windows can't see it.
I also cannot understand why adding ram should in any way effect the playing of games. I suspect that Direct X may not be installed and the graphics card isn't installed either.
What does DXDIAG tell you when you run it?

brundle 15:43 18 Oct 07

Info on the 4gb limit mentioned above; click here

even if it's set up wrong the 4 gig should show in bios, at least you would know if it has been fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…